What qualifies as a "good strap"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Earthday, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I've always had some minor back problems, and so I decided it might be worth it to invest in a quality strap. It's never something I've really looked into, so what makes a quality strap, whats the best material etc?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well since i broke my collarbone, a quality strap is a strap that is wise and soft on my shoulder.
  3. Think thick leather, preferably 2.5-3" at the very least in width.
  4. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I have a 3" levy's leather strap. one of the good ones with the slide length adjuster. I'm a fan :cool:

it's m7gg3 on this site
  5. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    You might look into one of these.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    My idea of a good strap?

3.5 Inches wide so it spreads the weight across, and made out of leather. Examples-Levy's M6 [what i've got] costs about $40 or one of the Moody's TB Straps.

Take it easy.
  7. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I use a 3.5in leather strap with fur padding, and it seems to do well. I have severe back problems, so it doesn't help me entirely, but it sure helps out. I also have a gel padded strap for my acoustic guitar and it's a dream. That's probably because the acoustic doesn't weigh nearly as much as a Stingray though.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just over 3.5 inches of padded leather. Adjustable and above all else - comfortable. I use SlapStraps.
  9. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    last year I bought both a comfort strap and a wide moody one because of minor back problems too. They both have their advantages but I prefer the moody. The comfort strap is a little too 'spongy', if you move around when you play it tends to make your bass a little too bouncy. The moody is nice and wide but not padded and tends to grip your shirt and not slide/give, but I do seem to feel better at the end of a gig with it. The slapstrap looks interesting, I'd like to try that one sometime.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As long as it's wide... about 3-3.5", leather, padded, and slides along my shoulder, it's good enough.