1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What qualifies as a "good strap"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Earthday, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I've always had some minor back problems, and so I decided it might be worth it to invest in a quality strap. It's never something I've really looked into, so what makes a quality strap, whats the best material etc?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well since i broke my collarbone, a quality strap is a strap that is wise and soft on my shoulder.

3. Think thick leather, preferably 2.5-3" at the very least in width.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I have a 3" levy's leather strap. one of the good ones with the slide length adjuster. I'm a fan :cool:

it's m7gg3 on this site

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    You might look into one of these.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My idea of a good strap?

3.5 Inches wide so it spreads the weight across, and made out of leather. Examples-Levy's M6 [what i've got] costs about $40 or one of the Moody's TB Straps.

Take it easy.

7. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I use a 3.5in leather strap with fur padding, and it seems to do well. I have severe back problems, so it doesn't help me entirely, but it sure helps out. I also have a gel padded strap for my acoustic guitar and it's a dream. That's probably because the acoustic doesn't weigh nearly as much as a Stingray though.

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just over 3.5 inches of padded leather. Adjustable and above all else - comfortable. I use SlapStraps.

9. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    last year I bought both a comfort strap and a wide moody one because of minor back problems too. They both have their advantages but I prefer the moody. The comfort strap is a little too 'spongy', if you move around when you play it tends to make your bass a little too bouncy. The moody is nice and wide but not padded and tends to grip your shirt and not slide/give, but I do seem to feel better at the end of a gig with it. The slapstrap looks interesting, I'd like to try that one sometime.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As long as it's wide... about 3-3.5", leather, padded, and slides along my shoulder, it's good enough.