what r the bad things of the BTB405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loma, Feb 7, 2004.

1. loma

Sep 27, 2003
    what r the bad things of the BTB405, things that you dont like about it
  2. I can't really think of any serious things that I don't like about my BTB405. I do get a little tired of some people assuming that I play a cheap bass because it says Ibanez on it. That's just not so. The BTB's are good basses, but they certainly aren't the "only ones out there". There are other fine basses on my wish list; MTD535 and Cirrus 5 to name a couple. Many of the high end basses probably are better, but the BTB405 serves my purposes well. I guess any grievances actually come from positives. The batteries last so long for me that I forget how long they've been in. When the batteries do start to go south, the bass goes from sounding good to making pops and snaps in very short order. Also, there are so many tonal possibilities with the BTB's that if anyone messes with my bass, I will have to go searching for "my tone", usally when I'm in a hurry to get going (rarely happens). One can see that these problems are easy to overcome. Ignore what others say about Ibanez, keep tabs on how fresh the batteries are, and put dots by the knobs so I know if the settings have been changed and I can easily reset. These aren't serious problems nor difficult solutions.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I don't care for the B-strings on them.Too floppy. I have played several BTB 5's locally and have yet to play one that meets my approval... I have not played an oil-finished BTB as of yet though.
  4. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I can't think of anything I don't like about mine except possibly the Neutrik locking jack and the strap buttons (they're not StrapLok compatible). But I'd be hard-pressed to :bawl: over such 'deficiencies'.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have no pet hates about BTB's, they are one of the finest instruments ive played, but the only downside i could find was that it was rather heavy.
  6. The strings that came with my BTB405 were not to my liking and the B string was somewhat floppy. I put on TI Jazz flats and they really brought the bass to life. I'm wondering if your impression would be better if you were playing with a brand other than the strings that came with the instrument. I believe the oil finished model that you mention comes with Elixirs.

7. I was able to install Dunlop straplocks on mine. The screws that came with the Dunlops were of a smaller guage than what came with the original strap posts. I used the original screws by drilling out the Dunlop straplocks to receive the larger screw size then grinding the head of the screw slightly, enabling them to recess properly.
  8. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, you just solved one of my problems. Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of drill bits so it'll have to wait. Do you know what size bit you used?

9. It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly. I'm going to guess the bit size was 1/8".
  10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Quite possibly although I find TI flats to have low tension as well... It doesn't help that I have never played an Ibanez that had even a halfway decent set-up out of the box either. Just my two cents. YMMV. ;)
  11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've got my BTB400QM tuned BEAD right now and as far as I'm concerned the B-string's just fine.

12. Oops!! I need to correct myself. I put Schaller straplocks on this bass, not Dunlops. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the installation, but it might be of importance to somebody. Anyway, my technique applies to Schallers.
  13. whats bad about a btb 405.....ummm , its an ibanez ;)
  14. loma

Sep 27, 2003
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ah, what a clever, wit-laden reply. Quite the ripsote, my good man! May I have another?

Honestly, I've heard very few legimate complaints about the BTB series, except that the 1000e and whatnot are a wee bit overpriced. My next bass is either going to be a BTB406QM or a G&L Tribute L2500 fretless. If I get the fretless first, I'll get the BTB after, and vice versa. :)
  16. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Isn't the 1006e down to $799 on Musician's Friend? What a deal.
  17. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I would have to take exception to this statement. I just bought one because of the nice feeling B string. It is just as tight as the Elricks and other custom basses I usually play.
  18. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've owned Benaventes, Roscoes, Elricks, Warwicks, Turners, Lulls, Laklands, certain Fenders, and played countless other brands, etc. and I have yet to come across any Ibanez that is even remotely close to their B-strings for tightness, evenness, and definition. But as I said preiously, YMMV... I'm glad, you found something you're happy with. :cool:
  19. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a 510...absolutely love it. I would want only two other basses. A Warwick Dolphin or my new favorite...a Spector Euro. Then again...I don't ever plan on spending that much money for what my Ibanez does just perfectly. Plenty of tone control and lovely tightness to the strings. Also looks great!!!
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the B strings vary. Of the ones ive played it was average. Not great, not too bad.