Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Radiohead songs should I buy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HooBass, Feb 27, 2004.

1. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    As I amass a fairly large collection of Pepsi iTunes give-away bottle tops, I'm thinking of finally trying out Radiohead.

Any song suggestions from you folks? I lean toward guitar-oriented rock, and of course stuff with good basslines.

Talk soon,
    HooBass

2. Depends how wierd you like your guitar driven rock.

Airbag, Electioneering, Lucky, Just, The Bends, My Iron Lung, Paranoid Android are all examples of reasonably straighforward guitaristic Radiohead. If you like wacky, try stuff from Kid A/Amnesiac such as Idioteque, Kid A, Optimistic, You And Whose Army, Morning Bell.

3. if you want guitar type rock, i'd go back to Pablo Honey. great songs like "anyone can play guitar" and "ripcord". mellower, but great songs are the classic "creep," "stop whispering" and "thinking about you". does the pepsi thing have just the mainstream stuff? if they have it, find "talkshow host". amazing song.

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I've only heard OK Computer, so I'd recommend Paranoid Android and Karma Police.

5. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Thanks, everyone! -- HooBass

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ummm, all of them!
    great band, not my fave, but great none the less.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'd go for the earlier stuff.

8. So, this is it. The future of music is here. I can't argue with it, but the days of buying full albums in a store seem to becoming obsolete. But, I'm 16, what do I know?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think my two favorite Radiohead songs of all time are Exit Music (for a film) and Airbag. I love the drums on Airbag and Exit Music is just freakin' cool.

brad cook

10. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    In some way I, too, feel this "loss." I remember the days when I couldn't understand folks who'd buy an album and listen only to one or two "hits" that were on it, or who would listen without reading the lyrics or, worse still, not knowing the darn songs' or musicians' names!

Now I routinely listen to music while I'm working, while cleaning the house, or while driving. I'm literally not learning the songs names (until I find the tunes that I really like), and usually don't read the liner notes and lyrics.

It's just not where I'm at right now. Aside from being a lot older now and consequently being busier, I now listen to music mostly for the mood it imparts. Music is a background for my life. Now that I'm starting to write again, I'm starting to get back into reading and digesting the lyrics, and digging into the bio's of the bands. So, with RH, if I love what I hear I'll be buying the physical materials (just not yet).

- HooBass