Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What really about Ashdown ABM combos ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 27, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    A few years ago, I had played in a recording session on an Ashdown ABM combo. The bass I was playing with was a Fender Precision. I had really loved the bottom-end and warmth of the tone.

Where I live, no retailers around have Ashdown in stock, though they may provide me with one in case of a specific order.

I could hear how most combos sound with a Rickenbacker 4003 (that's what I play), except about the Ashdown.

One retailer told me Ashdown amps have a "synthetic" sound. I'm not sure he was really aware of what he was talking about...

Can anyone tell me more about Ashdown ABM combos, especially the ABM-115-500 ? There are very few reviews on Harmony-Central.com about this amp...

What I need is : big bottom end, portability and "respect" of the mid-range tone of my Rickenbacker...

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'm playing my 4001 through a 500 head, and I'm diggin it. Jazzes sound equally cool... If that helps ya any...

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think the Ashdown sounds anything but synthetic. It provides a very natural "vintage" tone. Warm and pure with a lot of low end. I don't think you could go wrong.:)

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Ajbassking. That's what I thought : either the guy in the shop did not know at all about Ashdown, or he had very sick ears :D

All the best,

5. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    AJbassking

Do you think you'd get the same bottom end depth as you do from your ABM if you were using the Mag range

6. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Ashdowns ABM's have a warm fat sound - loads of bottom end with a nice mid range. My MAG is similar but not as warm and the sound is not as well defined (for want of a better word)

I would not call the ABM combos portable. Unless your a weightlifter that is. My 410-500 weighs in at almost 110lb. It is not a nice piece of equipment to carry around ! However it fits quite happily in the boot of my car without putting the rear seats down or removing the parcel shelf.

I've a MAG and an ABM - generally I run the ABM almost flat (little mid cut) but I tend to crank the bass on my MAG up by about 1/3rd. So I'd say no the AMB has more bottom end, but you can add it back in with the bass control so its a mute point. The AMB does shake the room at a much lower volume...

Hope this has been of some use, I knew having both would come in handy one day.

Oh, one other thing - our cats prefer the MAG - its got a carpet finish they love sharpening their claws on. =^..^= =^..^=

7. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Groove·Facilitator

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that's how it would be. I'm waiting to get 1st hand feel of a MAG anytime now. Trouble is, testing in a shop is only half a step on from testing in your home. You can't really open it right up. The customers who come in for violin music get upset :D
    I tested my gear outdoors one day......the neighbours 3 doors away complained!!!!!!!!!!

8. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    My local music shop is way cool - they have two shops separated by a covered area which is about 40 feet across. When I got my ABM rig the shop owner turned it up so loud I was rattling the guitars in the other shop...

It was louder than I've done any gigs with. He is a way cool guy !

9. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    My c110 300w 1 x10 is now on order! I'm hoping this will be loud enough for most circumstances but if I did want to buy another cab which should I go for? How much extra volume would the Mini 10T (200w) give me? What about the 210 H, 300w but obviously heavier and more expensive?

10. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi Bassbloke
    Here we are in a different thread LOL
    Do you remember me saying that I saw some Warwick combos, a 150W 15 and a 250w CCL, and that when I compared the sounds of the 150W with that of a Mag200 combo, the warwick sounded deeper. Well, I compared the specs today and the warwick goes down lower than the Ashdown Mag. I telephoned Ashdown and asked then if the ABM range was much different to the Mags. They said the was a big difference in the EQ ranges with the ABM going much lower than the Mags. But that you wouldn't notice when you tried them.Well, I did. So your choice of an ABM will probably be OK for what you want, but one of the Mag range (with one 10" speaker wouldn't). This leaves me with a problem as I can't really afford the ABM range. I rather like the Warwick CCL combo (especially as its S/H and therefore cheaper) but at 33KG I'm thinking it's a bit heavy. And it's 19" deep at the bottom. It does have built in wheels and a luggage type handle to pull it though. I wish I knew someone with experience of Warwick conbos. But I am looking for a deep bass.

11. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    I was happy with the Hartke sound it was the 88lb 4 x 10" that forced the change. I damaged my back lifting it out of my car and was getting treatment for almost a year. I'm still not fully recovered and my back can go at any time. I can't take the risk of lifting it solo again and you can imagine the inconvenience of needing someone else to be there every time you shift your gear!

No point in changing unless I got something less than 60lbs. The Warwick range didn't offer anything that would be light enough and loud enough so I never seriously considered it.

12. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi Bassbloke

I'm in the same situation as you with by back. Mine went about 14 months ago and still isn't right. Anything over about 55lbs is out of the question when you have to lift it in and out of the car on your own. Thats why I liked the Warwick Sweet 15 (terrible name). It weighs 25KG (55lb) and is 150W RMS. The Spec shows it lower than a MAG and it sounds deeper than a MAG. (But I could only compare it with the 200 MAG Combo). Pity we couldn't have these things on trial. I am really very undecided. The 150W should be enough for my needs as that's all I use now and it's always been loud enough. The Warwick CCL 250W has the same EQ figures but has more power. But at 33KG it's a no go. I'd get the bass sounds I want from the ABM range, but cost comes into it. But then, the ABM 115-500 Combo weighs 33KG!!!

13. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Yeah I just didn't think the 125 watt would be loud enough. The C110 is 55lb and 320watts. Most reviewers are blown away by the volume in such a small package but I will add an extension speaker if necessary.

I paid UK£649 for it. I think I could probably have haggled it down very slightly if I hadn't been trading in but I got £450 for my Hartke set up which I was very pleased with. I thought it was a great deal overall.

Just hope none of these unreliability problems come to the surface!

14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I just made a comparison of the specs of several combos, having 200W power minimum : Ampeg, Trace-Elliot, Warwick, Hartke, etc. The Ashdown ABM-C115-500 is the lightest of all (only 29 kgs, while the other ones start at 31 up to 40). Combos with 4x10" speakers are even heavier (and that's quite logical).

All the best,

15. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Jaylanb
    Here is a list of combo weights I made.

KG Lb
    Peavey TNT 115 37.00 81.40
    Peavey 115 Cab 34.00 74.80
    Warwick CCL 33.00 72.60
    Ash ABM 115-500 Cab 33.00 72.60
    Peavey TKO115 32.13 70.69
    Warwick 115 Cab 29.00 63.80
    Trace Cab 1153H 29.00 63.80
    Ash Mag 115-200Combo 28.00 61.60
    Ash Mag 115-400 Combo 28.00 61.60
    Ash Mag 115-250 Combo 28.00 61.60
    Peavey 210TVX 27.60 60.72
    Trace Cab 1153s 27.10 59.62
    Hartke 1415 Combo 27.00 59.00
    Ash ABM 115-300 Combo 26.00 57.20
    Warwick Sweet 15 25.00 55.00
    Ash Mag 115-200Cab 20.00 44.00
    Ash EB 15-130 Combo 19.00 21.20
    Ash EB 15-150 Combo 19.00 41.80

16. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    sorry about the formatting. The last set of figures are Lbs, the ones to the left are KG

17. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Would someone like to do a list showing all the EQ frequency figures from Bass to Treble

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think more important than the EQ freq. is the lowest freq the cab can efficiently produce, unless you get just the head.

Im not sure of the exact range and values on the EQ, but I remember it being really good. The best EQ Ive ever used is that off my Hartke 3500. Its great and goes althe way down to 30 Hz. Ive never used a Trace, but I dont doubt their abilities. Eden's parametric EQ is good to cuz you can choose where to have the freq set.

BTW what the guy at the store probably meant by sinthetic is that the subharmonizer creates a sub octave effect and emphasizes something that isnt there. Im suprised no one mentioned the subharmonizer!

Nick

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been working with Mark Gooday(creater of Ashdown)on a foot pedal version of the sub harmonizer,its close but not yet there.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    WOW!
    Tell me when thats in production!
    I've got a busted Hartke 3500 right now, and if its not ready for next years highschool footbal season I MIGHT be picking up a new Ashdown.

If they have a footswitchable subharmonizer I WILL BE PICKING ONE UP!

Will this be on the MAG or ABM?

Nick