What recording bass will have " The Sound"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Al Caldwell, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Fender makes a great bass. The "Sound" of that bass on so many records added to it's popularity.There are so many basses to choose from now.
    I have a Low End Jazz and I'm getting an Adler 5 in the near future. All of my basses sound diffrent but i'm curious about what Bass will take the place of the " Hit Record Making Fender sound". The new basses look great but what bass is the Best in your opinion for Funk, Jazz, Pop,Rock and Punk. Can one bass reign supreme like fender did for 20 years?
    Does every recording bassist need a collection of basses or will he have that______________________ Sound? What's the hottest bass on most top recordings now? I'd love to know! Al Caldwell
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fenders, either P or J, are the hottest thing to this day. I think the reason is that Fenders let the player sound like the player wants to sound, rather than projecting its own sound onto the player. I think as long as electric basses are in use, the Fender will be the main one used. Look how many people on here love them. Look how many boutique builders make copies. Ken Smith, who, while too big to be a boutique builder, has designed some of the most popular and innovative high end basses, has even gotten into the Fender act with his Retro J series.

I think behind Fender, MusicMan and Warwick are probably the hottest right now, but it always comes back to Fender in the end.
  3. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I would say it depends on the music, but the first ones always get it: Fender. Fender is bass. Yeah, there are better basses out there, but in my opinion, nothing beats an old school fender for "the sound". Like Jimmy, I think Warwick, and Musicman follow up.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Precision bass for sure.
  5. stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Good question!

to me, depends on the music...

a lot of people playing Modulus on records these days...

and a lot of boutique "super-jazz" basses of various kinds: Sadowsky's, Laklands.

I recently took my Musicman Stingray5 and 76 p-bass to a session, and ended up playing the Ray. It was a busy track and the Ray cut through.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Idon't think any other bass will ever have the impact of the Fender Bass. It was the first and it will always be what other basses are compared against. IF another bass sound becomes as dominant, it will be produced by something other than the bass guitar, kind of like when keyboard bass was so hot in the 1980's. Everyone was either getting that Moog or Yamaha DX7 sound.
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Of all the basses I've ever played, Fender Jazzes top my list of basses with incredible tone/playability.
  8. For me personally, I have used a pair of Vintage jazzes (62 and 67) and a Vintage 73 P for over 20 years....I have added a Sadowsky Vintage 4 NYC, a Marcus Miller 4 (Modified by Sadowsky shop with an onboard Sadowsky preamp and Sadowsky Pickups) a Warwick Streamer Stage II 4, Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 Custom, and a Warwick Thumb 5 in recent years.....Unfortunately, I lost them all except the Sadowsky and the Marcus Miller in a fire recently and am looking at a Lakland DJ 5 and a Lakland JO 5 to replace my losses.....

9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Fenders own. Always have, always will (as far as I can see). Fenders are so great that I would happily trade my Carvin (boy did that company turn out to be a dud) for a MIM/used HW1 jazz. Everyone else above is right in that MM and Warwick come in second.
  10. IMHO the ever expanding quest for individuality, the huge choice of fine instruments and the diversity of music nowadays will prevent any individual instrument and/or brand to have the same 'monopoly' and impact on recording as the Fender P and J had since they were introduced.
  11. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    :eek: I did not know that, let me write that one down.
  12. tfaduh

Aug 9, 2005
    Are Carvins really that bad? I hear good stuff about them.
  13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I'm only about 6ft tall... :rolleyes:
  14. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't now what that guy was talking about, but Carvins are by far a step above Fenders......in certain areas.

Quality and Construction, Fender can't hold a candle to Carvin. The sound is an objective thing. I love the sound of my two Carvins (a B5 and B5F fretless - both bolt-on necks), very very Versatile basses. I have gotten many good coments about these basses in the studio. Now before you Fender people start bashing me, I also have three (not one or two but three) Fender Jazzes which I love to death. They are just a totally different animal. I also happen to love how my 60's Jazz records.

Now for recording, there is one bass I feel tops the list of all the basses mentioned in this thread....Alembic. Where ever I recorded with this bass (a Distillate 5-string), it just sounded amazing. Engineers love it! Even when I record on my little Fostex 8-track, the Alembic just sounds awsome!
  15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    How about that? I'm as big as Ken Smith. :cool:
  16. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't want this thread to turn into another Carvin thread, so this is my last word on it here.

My Carvin B4 is built like a toothpick. First neck's trussrod snapped, this neck is unstable to my tastes. Carvin, from what I read, does have a reputation for unstable necks and iffy tuning, and this is the case with mine. It requires WAY too much maintainence for me to want to bother with it. In contrast, my two MIM Fenders are rocks. I've only adjusted the fretless's truss rod once, and never on the precision. Just beautiful pieces of work. Plus, it turns out I'm a much bigger fan of the Fender electronics and the alder/rosewood combo. Carvin, to my ears, just sounds mid-rangey and brittle. In other words, crap. But that's my experience. If you want a cheap, shoddily-built Warwick substitute, Carvin's for you.
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The sound? It's impossible to predict where that will go. In 1999-2000, I bet a lot more people would have said Ibanez, what with the Nu-Metal craze and all. Garage rock then brought back a lot of interest in hollowbodies. All that said, Fenders - and the designs inspired by them - are not going away. And I don't think that that's surprising. I mean the gold standard in violins or what-have-you is centuries old Italian stuff. The Precision has been around for what? 54 years? That's nothing in instrument terms.
  18. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Personally, I don't think any manufacturer or builder will ever knock Fender off its pedestal unless Fender goes out of business. The Fender name, sounds, and instrument designs are engraved in the hearts and minds of generations of musicians.
  19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You know what? Then I'm bigger than Ken Smith :p :D

IMO W and EB are popular nowadays because they let the player be heard, to cut through the mix. If one likes that sound, as well, that's another reason.

As for individuality and smaller builders... well, TB is not a good sample of the BG world. The boutique-/custom-bass owners are way over-represented here compared to real life. Maybe there won't be one single monopolistic company like Fender was, but there are a couple big companies who produce most of the basses.
  20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There is much truth to this. A fair number of players over the years have used Alembic in the studio, while choosing something else for live performance, probably due to the look and image of Alembic, the weight factor may also play a role(did for me!). My Alembic was absolutely golden in the studio, the subtle purity of the electronics really shine through on tape.
    For alot of agressive music Warwick is the choice due to it's natural ability to cut through distortion and still sound musical.
    As far as sitting in the mix and just plain getting the job done Fender is it, but Sadowsky's refinements(feel and consistancy)makes it the axe of choice for alot of working studio pros.
    I have had great luck with all styles of music tracking with my Dingwall, I'm looking forward to recording with it since swapping the Bart pups & pre for the FD-3 & OBD-3. I think it's new "passive personality" is going to absolutely kill!!