What Records will Be "Golden Oldies" in 2030?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Willie Dizon inspired me to start this thread. What records or bands or solo artists that we are listening to today will be played on "Golden Oldies" stations in 2030? I suppose you could even include today's "golden Oldies" in that, because with thirty more years of music, maybe some of today's favorite old songs and bands will no longer be favored in 2030.

Jason Oldsted

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Actually, I think oldies are always going to remain oldies. No song today will ever be played on an oldies station in all probability. You have to remember....music that came after what is today considered oldies, is now called classic rock. But, who knows what it will be like in 2030. So in keeping with the thread- Tommorow's Goldie Oldies-
    Brittany Spears
    Backstreet Boys
    98 Degrees
    Christina Aguilera
    New Kids On The Block
    Richard Marx
    Paula Abdul
    Michael Jackson
    Janet Jackson
    Ricky Martin
    Blink 182
    Baha Men
    Faith Hill
    Shania Twain
    Dixie Chicks

Tommorow's classic rock-
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Pearl Jam
    Alice in Chains
    Black Crowes
    Hootie and The Blowfish
    Dave Matthews
    Kid Rock
    Bon Jovi

Just my 2 cents
  3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    hmmm...well I guess that what you listen to the radio today will still be played as classic tommorrow...I mean mainstream music.But I'm pretty sure that a recent album that will remain classic in the hearts of music lovers,although I doubt that it will ever be played on the radio,is Dream Theater's Metropolis part II,Scenes From A Memory.Yes and I&W of course,but SFAM is the most recent album I can think of becoming a classic.
    As for the radio,well maybe Madonna and Micheal Jackson are the most sure bets I can imagine...
  4. Greenday's dookie album's gotta make the list.
  5. Usually the music that becomes part of the golden oldies genre is usually mainstream music so I would say top 30 music is a deffinate and music which was ground breaking (if you can use this term) eg Nirvana - grunge, Metallica - metal, Michael Jackson - male pop, Madonna - female pop all these people and bands changed music and brought a different style to the people and are really talented in their own way as well as constantly putting out hit singles for the top 30. Please note that they may not have pioneered their style but they did make it mainstream hence bringing it to the people just like Elvis brought Rock & Roll.
  6. What about:

Offspring-Smash, and it looks like Conspiracy of One
    Green Day-Insomniac
    Guns n Roses

I know there are lots of classic punk albums for me that will not get radio play in the future such as Nofx-White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean, A.F.I.- Very Proud of Ya, Face to Face-Big Choice, and countless others.
  7. I'll second that one!
  8. did you mean this to be as our opinion of what we think should be? or what we think WILL be??

if its what we think SHOULD be, then probably number one choice would be Chili Peppers or Pearl jam or something

but i think it will be pop crap
  9. Red Hot Chili Peppers will probably be considered classic rock, I think so anyways. They're one of the most succesful rock groups out right now, and they've been around since the early-mid '80s. Although I think they are pretty crappy, Metallica will probably go on to become classic rock material.
  10. yeah i think metallica suck but there deffinetly gonna make it
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    King's X and Galactic Cowboys probably won't make it :( Or they gonna be played at 3AM when nobody's listening anyway...
  12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    under the table and dreaming by dave mathews band!
  13. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I think they'll still be playing Steely Dan when the hyped rock stars we hear today are scraping up nickels in the subway pan handling for cash.

Love em or hate em, it's probably true...
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Man can you all imagine how bad the music will suck ass in 2030?
  15. gothbass

Jan 15, 2001
    All this talk about golden oldies is making me Nostalgic. Seeing as nostalgia is taking a threateningly short cycle, people in 2030 will be nostalgic for the year that they were nostalgic for 2000 (if that makes any sense). Anyway, what about all the really good stuf today, like Moby, Fatboy Slim, and IND. Will they be respected any still in 2030? I agree with the idea that music in 2030 will suck, judging by the crap that the music industry is pumping out on a mandatory basis. Everyone is looking for the next 98 Disease.
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
  17. Thank goodness Rush will still be putting out records and touring in 2030!