1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What replaced your Pork Loin?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I love my Pork Loin, I really do. Overall, it's my most used dirt pedal. My normal 'clean' sound is bright, gritty, and punchy and I have the Pork Loin set to make it fat, dark, and greasy.

But after revamping my pedal board, the large size and top jacks are not jiving very well.

I'd love this same sound in a smaller pedal with side jacks, or at least something that could be re-housed into that type of enclosure.

Tried an SFT, it's too fizzy.

Mad Professor Blueberry perhaps? Dark Driving? How do they compare to a Pork Loin? Throw some out there!

2. Not sure if it'll help much but I asked a similar question here a while ago: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/rivals-pork-loin-866820/

I wasn't necessarily looking for a "dark" overdrive, just something smaller/similar.

I was told a Dark Driving may do it. idk, the PL is pretty unique in what it does..

Have you given the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes a listen? its very smooth and warm sounding .

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    B3K replaced my pork loin, I also have the VT Bass. Those two provide all the overdrive I need.

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

I have a B3K as well :)

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Rib eye steak, although tonight I'm having hot dogs, which are not bad once in a while--- mustard and relish, toasted bun a must (chili if you got it).

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    How close does the B3K sound tonally to the Pork Loin?

8. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Another a B3K ate my Pork Loin, vote! I really liked the Pork Loin, but I just found the B3K suited me better.

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I haven't actually tried to make my B3K sound like my Pork Loin, but perhaps with the 'fat' switch on it may very well do that. I have my B3K set for the total opposite of my PL...huge, grindy, mid scooped mayhem!

I'll have to give that a try. I really don't want to buy another $240-ish pedal, though. $150 would be about my limit. Any more than that and I'll just deal with the PL taking up some extra space.

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Not close at all IMO. The Pork Loin rolls off some highs (even with the tone all the way open) and muddies/darkens the tone a bit but is otherwise is pretty transparent. The B3K has a very baked in EQ to it. Now, it's a great sound (I bought B3K #004 from Douglas and loved it while I had it) but a very different sound.

It doesn't change your tone as dramatically as say a VT Bass but it definitely imparts its own character a lot more than the PL.

11. phmike

phmike

Oct 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    A pedal board's shape/size/etc should not be what decides your choice of pedal.
    If the Pork Loin makes you feel good then that is what you should use. (I lurvs mine)
    If you are just having a GAS attack for another pedal then that is another matter ;)

12. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    The new MXR Bass Overdrive is basically a Pork Loin with more gain on tap. I have both and have confirmed as such.

Here is my MXR Bass Overdrive sound demo: MXR Bass Overdrive Sound Demo

13. Fairfield Barbershop. Nothing against the PL, but the Barbershop is head and shoulders over it in terms of giving a gorgeous warm driven tone (I've had both).

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My PL was replaced with an Ampeg SVT. Hey, you asked =)

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    +1

I bought a Barbershop on a whim and have been A/B'ing it against an number of other ODs, including the Pork Loin. Someone who wants an overdrive that changes the whole character of their tone into something aggressive and nasty will be disappointed with it. But someone who wants an overdrive that is so transparent that when playing softly or moderately (at all but the highest drive levels) you can't even tell it's on but when you dig in snarls back at you like a real tube amp will love it.

16. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That Barbershop looks excellent, but it's the same size as the Pork Loin which is the whole point. Do they make it smaller?

I will definitely check out the new MXR OD, been curious about it since they announced it.

17. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I replaced my Pork Loin with the Dark Driving. Love the DD. I think the box it's housed in is similar to the PL though. Somone mentioned the Barbershop. That's another fantastic one. I had a clone of that one made in an MXR sized box. That would work for you.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sheep Groin.

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    They don't but the circuit itself certainly could be made to fit in a smaller enclosure.

20. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    The porkloin is my my go-to boost/light overdrive right now as well. I just bought a wampler euphoria/ecstasy and have to say it nails it pretty close. It is a smaller form factor and would be in your $150 range.