What replacement bridge for my MIM J-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jerryjg, Aug 24, 2009.

1. jerryjg

jerryjg

Aug 20, 2006
    Looks like the stock 5 hole bridge is a real cheapie on my Fender FSR Ash Jazz .
    Should i put a Badass II ? If so, would I need to have the saddles notched?
    Is there a better quality Genuine Fender bridge I should use?
    Any other ideas? Thnx.

2. So, what is the problem with the stock bridge? What are you trying to achieve by replacing it?

3. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    gotoh 201

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You could put a BAII on your bass. You might even like it. However, you also might not (I've been down that road and back). There is nothing wrong with the stock Fender bridges. The one on my '68 Fender P has been doing it's job just fine for over 40 years. It isn't significantly different than the on on your bass.

5. +1 Unless you just don't like the way it looks,there's no reason to change it. It does its job,and the tonal differences of a heavier bridge are minimal.

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1

KO

7. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I only put a gothoh on mine because it was 30$ and i figured i'd try it. I dont like the stock MIM bridge but i do like the vintage threaded fender bridge i think there like 25$. High mass bridges i think look kinda dorky and i may remove my gotoh.

8. This. I've used Badass bridges on other instruments, but after installing the Gotoh on my Jazz, I'm sold on it.

9. Only bad thing about the Gotoh 201 is that the saddles are big barrels and the bottom plate is thick, so you might end up having trouble getting your action low enough after installing one. I took the saddles off of my old bridge and put them on the Gotoh when I had one. Worked much better.

10. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    +1 for me as well. I have BadAss IIs on my Ric 4001 and my Highway One Jazz (stock), but I like the Gotoh just as well. $37.50 from Warmoth is nice too.

I just sold a surplus BadAss II with pre-grooved saddles on eBay for $177.50!! :eek: :D I couldn't believe it when I woke up and checked my auction. I paid like $70 for it not 3 months ago when I installed it on my now-sold Squier VMF. I guess they're getting hard to come by...:confused:

11. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    holy ****..............177$? i got one new for 40$ in 2006

12. Nobody seems to have the chrome ones in stock right now. Good time to sell em if ya got em. :)

13. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    There was this thread awhile ago that has never been conclusively answered, so maybe there is something going on. Clearly the laws of supply/demand are alive and healthy on eBay!

Hell, between selling that hunk of metal and my SVMF, I didn't pay a dime for my new (to me) 2006 MIM fretless (Gotoh 201, black Warmoth pickguard, AllParts chrome knobbery). :bassist:

And just to pre-empt the "no photo/no bass crowd", here it is (shown here with Noisy Bastard): :D

P1050801.jpg

14. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Copywriter, Dunlop Manufacturing
    Agreeing with the Gotoh 201 crowd. The MIM bridge is junk; just hold it in one hand and a Gotoh in the other, and you'll quickly discern which is the better quality piece.

The Gotoh feels sturdier, and I could in fact notice a difference in tone. Even my girlfriend noticed. It's fuller.

15. Mobile Sprout

Mobile Sprout

May 30, 2009
    I like the Hipshot Vintage bridge I put on my MIM Jazz. It corrects the main flaw in the MIM Fender bridge - unwanted horizontal movement of the string saddles - but it can be had cheaper than a BAII. Plus it has a quick loading tail... to change strings.. quickly.

16. I would use a stock Fender bridge, if not the one you have now then another bent metal one, I feel they are suited to the bass more than any other.

17. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    i'd like to get one of those nice MIA standard bridges!

18. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    The MIAs have "High Mass Vintage" bridges. They look really nice, but they are 3-hole, so they require a bit of surgery, and they are through-the-body, so that may take even more effort. I've never really checked one out closely enough to see if they are dual-design and have an option to load through the back...

EDIT: The HMV does have a dual-load design. Those who opt for top-loading are good to go.

19. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    +1 on the "threaded rod" saddle type. Got the Allparts version on my MIM J-Bass. Nicey-nice.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021