What replacement drivers? 2-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I picked up a 2-15 Fender cab at a tag sale and one driver buzzes. The cab is a 3/4" plywood blackface, bottom slotted port with black tolex and indented side Eden type handles. The outside dimensions are 35H x26W x16D. The drivers are some oem 1.5"VC 15s anyway. I would like to make this sound decent. Avatar has some closeout - Celestion K15H-200 speakers for $49.00ea. How would these work in this cab? I could not find anything on the web on these. Thanks Much, Bob
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cut a new mounting plate for four 10s.
  3. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Find speakers that match the internal dimensions of your cabinet in its premium operating range.
  4. Rockbobmel

I gots a D410xlt and a Mesa 4-10/1-15 and an 8-10

Just wanted to get a cheap 2-15
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Me either. And I don't care how cheap they are if they're not suitable.

Maybe email Dave at Avatar and ask for T/s data. If he can't supply it, keep saving and buy something usefull.
  6. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i have a sunn 215 that someone stuck some peavey black widows in. kicked ass in my ears.
  7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Order up a couple of Carvin speakers, they're made by Eminence, and they're indestructible...

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I know you're trying to be helpful, but that advice is as useful as telling someone to order Goodyear tires for their car without specifying wheel size, tread style, aspect ratio or one of the other myriad of specifications that would determine which of Goodyear's few hundred odd SKUs would actually fit.

You must match the driver and the cabinet, otherwise it ain't gonna roll, let alone rock. RockBobby needs to either use a box program like WinISD to find an appropriate driver himself or provide the exact cabinet interior dimensions, including the all important ports, so that someone else might do so for him.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Exactly. Which is why I suggested obtaining T/S data before considering any speaker.
  10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

>> Call the good folks an Eminence, they're GREAT people and they'll help you out.
  11. You might want to look out for a peavey 215D BW, they can be gotten pretty cheaply in good nick :)
  12. Rockbobmel

I took a shot at it. I got 2 Celestion 15s from Dave Avatar. They were $114. total for 2, shipped. They sound perfect.. This is a great plywood cab Total cost $164. + gas. I can't download pics here, so you can see it on my site.
  13. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Have you tried turning up to gig-level volumes yet? Though the speakers probably sound great at moderate volumes, I think they're more suited to the duties of reproducing guitar signals than bass (smaller voice coil, short Xmax, etc.). Anyhow, I hope what you've got works out for you, you have a lot of options if you want to put different drivers in.
  14. Rockbobmel

They are a discontinued model K15H 200W with 3" VC. They are made for PA & Bass. But I could test them out pretty loud. I also have an Eden 4-10, Mesa P1000, Ampeg 8-10 and a 1-18 that I have played inside, so I do have something to compare it to.