what replacement PUs for BB614

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by origami, Aug 27, 2005.

1. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I think these active yamaha BB basses are sort of cool, and might get one. michael anthony city :)

I always replace all my single coil bass pick-ups in my basses (usually with EMG). I don't like hum when i solo the bridge pick up, so i would want to replace the bridge pick-up and also the p-style one too as to make the pair match.

so what brand of replacement p and j pick-ups fits in the BB? I don't want to do any routing. can a J-bass replacement fit in the pick-up cavity? the stock yamaha BB bridge pick-up looks sort of oval and not a rectangle.

here is a link to the bass...

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

assume that's a six string and I don't play 6's but you'd be limited in you pup selection if that's the case. EMG does make extended range pups - not sure about PJs. You'd have to have measurements on each pup to have a feel for replacement but it's not uncommon for a transplant that's supposed to be a drop in to be a hair off doing so. EMG might actually know if you call them.

You can check harmonycentral for a bass review on that bass and somebody's probably done some swapping if there's many reveiws.