1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what replacement PUs for BB614

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by origami, Aug 27, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I think these active yamaha BB basses are sort of cool, and might get one. michael anthony city :)

I always replace all my single coil bass pick-ups in my basses (usually with EMG). I don't like hum when i solo the bridge pick up, so i would want to replace the bridge pick-up and also the p-style one too as to make the pair match.

so what brand of replacement p and j pick-ups fits in the BB? I don't want to do any routing. can a J-bass replacement fit in the pick-up cavity? the stock yamaha BB bridge pick-up looks sort of oval and not a rectangle.

here is a link to the bass...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519161/

anyone?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

assume that's a six string and I don't play 6's but you'd be limited in you pup selection if that's the case. EMG does make extended range pups - not sure about PJs. You'd have to have measurements on each pup to have a feel for replacement but it's not uncommon for a transplant that's supposed to be a drop in to be a hair off doing so. EMG might actually know if you call them.

You can check harmonycentral for a bass review on that bass and somebody's probably done some swapping if there's many reveiws.