Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What RHCP songs are 5 string?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Trist6075, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Hey i was wondering if u knew which songs or albums Flea used a 5 string cuz I think ive seen him use a 4 and 5 but im not sure. If anyone can let me know cuz i want to learn some of the songs. Alright thanks.

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I'm pretty sure he did Funky Monks on a 5.

3. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    sorry for the double post!

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "Under The Bridge" is most certainly a 5-string. I'd pull out the BP article from that era, but I just moved and they're all in an unorganized stack. :scowl:

5. flea recorded most of BSSM with a stingray 5, except for suck my kiss which was with his wal i think.....one hot minute was recorded with an alembic epic except for aeroplane which was with a 4 string stingray

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    One specific song that featured the low B was "The Righteous and the Wicked" off Blood Sugar Sex Magik. As always, great song, great bassline.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Personally, I'm fairly certain he recorded most of BSSM with a Wal 4 string except for Under the bridge and the Righteous and the Wicked, which was a Stingray 5. :p
    UTB may be very well a SR5, but as far as I know, there aren't any really low notes in it -- our old bass player had the RHCP tab book back then and the lowest note was plain old E.

8. tab books arent a source of what they used on what album....im just quoting what ive read in interviews....flea plays UTB on the 5er because you dont get that ringy thinny g string when you play it up a position