What Rickenbacker did Cliff Burton play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diego_sanchez21, Aug 24, 2003.

1. hi,

my favorite bass player is flea from the red hot chili peppers, but his modulus flea bass is way to expensive and since i plan on buying a new bass i saw that cliff used a rickenbacker and i have seen that rickb's are not as expensive. would someone please tell me the model cliff played? thx.

:bassist: MetallicA...Red Hot...System...Maiden and the good ole NWOBHM!!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rickenbackers not expensive? They cost as much as a flea bass. Maybe not used though.
  3. I believe it was a burgandy 4001
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's no reason you can't pick up a modulus flea bass used in good condition for $900. I have one, and it's a great bass.

If you're dead set on buying a new bass, get the Rick, they're great basses and I love the Rick sound. But if you're looking to get a great slap sound, IMO you'd be better with the Modulus.
  5. Please Note that cliffs bass was modified, he has a gibson EB-O pickup in the neck position, and a jazz bass pickup in the bridge position.
  6. like 74rickbass said cliff modified his bass. and oddly enough all the famouse ric users modified their bass in some way. I bet you could get a like new flea for 900-1000 but the RIC would also be a sweet bass, I love the tone. the Flea has more variety and it slaps like a mofo.
  7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    How did Geddy mod his Ric? :confused:
  8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    :D Don't lose sight of the fact that what's good for Flea or Cliff isn't necessarily what's good for you. Find your own feel.
  9. in the interview that's in the Bass heroes book he said he put Baddass bridges on his Ricks.
  10. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I think he used to put Gibson pickups in them. T-bird pickups maybe... I know the carved top Rics he has made for him now dont have stock ric pickups
  11. he put a Thunderbird pickup in one, and a Bartolini in another.

also in a pic you can see string retainers have been added on the headstock of one.
  12. Ah. Very interesting. I was just curious since now he has a custom made Rick, so I assumed that he never modded his previous ones. Don't tell me he modded the new one, too?
  13. I guess the new one had the mods he made to the older ones. Killer body design though!
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    He turned his into a Wal. . .that's some pretty heavy modification there! :p
  15. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

I know they're not the same as production rics. What with the carved maple top and different pickup config. (I think a different one anyway)
  16. That was Paul D'Amore. I am pretty sure he used a 4003. He had a white one and a black one.
  17. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    What about the guy from The Hives?;)
  18. brake: Maybe I should've rephrased it. What I meant was since it was a custom made bass, he shouldn't have any need to further modify it, right?

But then again people tinker with their stuff all the time...