What rig for me ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Sunn 300T + 215 cabinet

3 vote(s)
  2. Marshall VBA 400 + 810 cabinet

1 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg SVT2 Pro + SVT810E cabinet

23 vote(s)
  4. Mesa Boogie 400+ + 1x15 & 4x10 cabinets

19 vote(s)
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Finally found nothing fine among combos, so I'm gonna break the moneybox and take a rig.

I want my Rick 4003 tone to be respected, but enhanced with big low-end frequencies. In most cases, no overdrive wanted.

Which one of these rigs do you think would be the best one for me ?

(I must specify that, for the moment, I am far away from good retailers, and so I cannot go to try these amps)

Thanks in advance !
  2. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Vote results seem to say "Mesa Boogie"... Most expensive of all, but should it be the best choice, I'll go with it. All advices are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

All the best,
  3. I think most people who said Mesa though were talking about the old school Mesa Cabs, the Diesel Series, not the new ones. I haven't run into one person who likes the new series cabs. If i were you, i would actually get the MESA 400+ and then get some other cab. The SVT 810E that you had listed would be cool, but if i were to get an 8x10, it would be much better IMHO to get the SWWR Megoliath cab. It's a much better cab IMHO and it has handles on the bottom for easier carrying.
  4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    MrFortuneCookie : please can you tell me what is defective with the new Mesa cab series ?

About the choices shown in my poll, it is true I suggested a SVT-810E. But something just bothers me a bit : can one _REALLY_ get _DEEEEEEEEEEP_ bass with 10" speakers ? I'm not sure at all.

I play a Rick 4003. I love its specific tone, but would like to have it enhanced with HUGE low-end. Shouldn't a combination of 1x15" + 2x10" or 4x10" be more appropriate in that case ?

Maybe I'm completely wrong. It's been a long time since I did not own a big rig. And when I had one, that was not the kind of tone I am seeking as of now...

Thanks again,

All the best,
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Two words Peavey Kosmos!!!
    That will super enhance your low end.

I to think I'd go with the Megoliath if I was in your situation and needed a 8x10. Yes 10s can get plenty of bass. Take acme for example. I also like the Henry the 8x8. It goes down to 30hz, and is very punchy. Also easier on the back.

Just out of curiousity when you said you didn't like any combos, did you try the BAM, Metro, and Redhead? They are all very clean with lots of bass.
  6. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Actually re-reading your post if you really want SUPER DEEP bass, than you should probably look at acme or bagend elf. I don't think Rics are really know for deep sub bass though.

I still say get a peavey kosmos!
  7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sure, they're rather mid-end. That's why I want to keep this specific mid-end tone I really love, but wish to enhance it with deep low-end.

I thought a 2x10" or 4x10" would do for the mid-end, and a 1x15" for the low-end. This in addition to a high-quality amplifier head, with parametric EQ and so on...

BTW, didn't find Kosmos on the Peavey website

All the best,
  8. At one time or another, I've tried all these brands but the Marshall. I've always come back to Ampeg - they have that thick, warm tone, are very reliable and reasonably priced, especially if you shop around and don't pay normal retail.

I just bough a Mesa head as a back up and so far I'm really impressed with the tone and clarity of the sound. The 400+ gets nothing but rave reviews, so that bears checking into.

Good luck!
  9. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Peavey Kosmos Click me!!

Most modern 4x10s go as low as most modern 15s, so its really a question of if you like the sound of 10s or 15s better.

Acme 2x10 goes down to 20hz. A low E is 41hz. A bagend 2x12ELF goes down to 8hz (w/ processor).

I think if you're playing a 4 string the majority of cabs would work for you. Most of the people who have troubles with lows are trying to reproduce a low B (31hz).
  10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Chris, I'm gonna check all this.

About the low-end with a Rick, maybe listening to what I've recorded will help you best understand what I'm looking for. If you wish, you may click on the second link of my signature below.

This was done in my home studio, and though it's not perfect, it looks a bit like what I'm looking for with a rig.

Chris Squire's tone on the latest Yes album is also close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,

All the best,
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    My vote goes to Ampeg. I just like Ampeg. Of all the ones you mentioned... But there are more brands out there. I wouldn't limit yourself to just those... Even though Ampeg is great.. you may find that you like something else..

Look at Aguilar, Peavey, ashdown, SWR, Eden... just a few more
  12. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    GO VINTAGE! nothing supports low end like my fender bassman 100's and a good set of efficient 15s. Actually, I have a bag end 15, an ashdown 2x10 and two bassman heads. a 100 and a 135. They sound great and offer a bit of growl when over driven. If I were going to do it over, I would get a vintage 2x15 cab and use new drivers.
  13. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    That was quite an exhumation job top028. I believe the Great Karnac has foreseen some blue tolex in jaylanb's future (or was it his past?).
  14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    You're right. That's the ressurection of an old thread. In the meanwhile, I bought my rig then downsized to a B-100R.
  15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you are looking for a deep, round, dub-reggae sound I would definitely recommend a 2x15 cab. The SWR Megaliath 8x10 is a great cab for deep end too. However it has a definite midrange focus and punch like most 10"-based cabs. The 15's will give you a rounder attack. For the head, I would suggest a vintage SVT. I use a Kern pre with and Aguilar tube power amp. The Kern pre has a huge round bottom end that retains clarity and fast transient response. Very much like a Demeter pre with a ton more bottom. This head setup may suit your needs.
  16. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I voted for the Ampeg, but I would suggest one variation to at least try if you haven't yet. SVT-2 pro combined with the ampeg 6x10 cabinet. I personally like this cab more than the 8x10. You should seriously give this a try. Ampeg makes great stuff though, and is the best at least to my ears.

17. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I totally love the ampeg amps. especially the STV 2 Pro tube amp.

18. I dunno about anyone else,but my Ric,PSA-1,SWR,2x-4x10 rig has too much deep low end if I'm not careful.

I dunno,I've thought about this sort of thing before,about the ric having very pronounced in yer face mids.It's kinda like a "non muso" hearing a band and focusing on the guitar because it stands out more,being of a higher more easily audible frequency range.Could be the same when someone hears a Ric in a band setting,all those twanging punchy high mids are more audible than the lows,and being easier to here those high mids,it's just easier to focus on that sound and become ignorant to the underlying lows that fill the room.

Well........there ya go...................or not.