What rig should I get??? Or would you get???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xax712, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Sunn 1200s

1 vote(s)
  2. SWR IOD w/ QSC 850 RMX

5 vote(s)
  3. SWR Grand Prix w/ QSC 850 RMX

1 vote(s)
  4. Ampeg SVP w/ QSC 850 RMX

8 vote(s)
  5. Alembix F1-X w/ QSC 850 RMX

1 vote(s)
  6. Other. Please list and why.

1 vote(s)
  1. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm trying to get a new rig and the amp is the main thing I'm having trouble with. Cash is tight and I'd rather not go too high. Over about $650. So I've been lookin around at some options to go high power and high quality. Tell me what you think and what you would do.
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I bought my ampeg SVP-PRO and Carvin DCM1500 all used of of ebay. Both are in mint condition and the svp came with the footswitch. I got it all for $700 and it sounds incredible through my bergie
    2-12. Matter of fact my younger brother is using it in the studio right now to record his bands cd and I was quite surprised and pleased at how this rig sounded. I was going to bring it back home but all the guys and the engineer said "please dont take back yet" so being the nice brother I am I let them use it. I did tell them though that its their a$$ if it gets jacked up.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"...about $650. So I've been lookin around at some options to go high power and high quality."

Call me a jerk if you want. But that price and those conditions just don't jive, IME, if you're looking at a bass preamp and a dependable power amp with serious wattage (your post didn't say anything about "used" - which is always dicey with something as complex as amps).

If $650 was what I had, I'd throw a little more at a preamp and put the rest towards a power amp. Upgrading a power amp isn't a bank-breaker and there are more options.

Then again, if I saw a used 750W SWR head within your budget, I might jump on it after checking out the seller.
  4. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I figured that on most of those the prices were obviously or used gear. Sorry if I didn't specify. I just felt that since none of the dealers in my area carry anything like this, I should ask. All the dealers carry are the combos and lower lines of theswe companies.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well.. I use an SWR IOD preamp and A carvin DCM1500.. and I love it. it sounds fab.

Getting it all for under $700 might be tricky.. you may want to save up a bit more... just my Opinion..
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What kind of sound? The F1-X is a good preamp but won't do the "grit" that the IOD and SVP will do. I have an F-2B but I use it in conjunction with a SansAmp when I want some dirt.
  7. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    The band I'm in is very versatile. We play praise and worship music, which is sometimes in need of some grit, but we are doing our own little endevours too. I just want something really versatile that would give me the grit if I wanted it. I have seen all of the products mentioned for the above within the price range I'm looking at, so I'm not as worried about finding the goods, I've already done my homework on that end. I'm just looking for advice. I really wanted to see how the Sunn amp stacked up to the pre/power situation in everybody else's opinion. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. I plan on getting this rig as soon as my Montero sells.