1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What rig would you bring to this gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumblemind, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Playing a wedding reception in this old church venue tonight, and it’s similar to a lot of places I end up playing. EQ good times. What rig would you bring to this gig for a broad range of tunes with a passive bass and why? Goal is to sound good on stage and not muddy in the room, naturally.

EDIT: I'll add some more detail based on a few of the responses. My rig is typically the Rumble 500 and one or two Rumble 210 cabs. I always have a homemade type of gramma pad, and I have an hpf at my disposal. The Rumble sounds great onstage and is plenty loud, but I've noticed the bass gets woolly at a distance...not so much boom as lack of clarity in the mids and upper range despite EQ and horn settings. We're considering adding a sub to our modest PA setup, so there is potential to try patching into that in the future. I also have a pair of Ampeg 210AVs, and those are better in the clarity aspect but don't have the dance-floor-lows as much; and they can be a laser beam to the people in the back of the room.

I originally left it more open ended to see what cabs/speaker config people find successful carrying these kinds of rooms with clarity. I've been considering trying an Aguilar sl212, but I haven't really jived with other 12s in the past, and I'm not sure if that was the driver size or just the particular cab flavors (i'm thinking it's the latter).

AD585F0E-DAEF-4AD5-8F1C-80E802205E6C. 07C134EF-1623-444B-8B62-2D82DBB8F57A.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Pbassmanca, mikewalker and Linnin like this.
  2. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    If it was my gig, I would be bringing either a Genzler Magellan 800 with a Genz Benz UBER QUAD 1288t and UBER BASS 115t or an EBS Reidmar 750 with 2 TC Electronic K212 cabs stacked vertical.

Edit: I'm actually gigging tonight with the TC K212 cabs and a TC BH800 since I have not used that head in a very long time, but the EBS is sounding really good right now.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    This is a good call. I have the TC K210. I really like it. The K212 must be awesome.

Me I would bring a Gallien Krueger MB-800 fusion and one GK 410 cab.

4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Thanks, and I do feel that the K212's are really nice sounding and loud cabs. Love them.

Yours is a good call as well. :thumbsup:

I also have the GK NEO 410 and that cab is a powerhouse. I used to run an MB500 through it and now a 700rb II along with several other amps. Can't go wrong with this cab. IMHO and IME.

JBW and joel406 like this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    B|Amp and HDN212.

6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    That’s two mentions of 212s. Is it because those carry well in different rooms?

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    This room looks pretty similar to one I've played a couple of times recently, and I think my vertically stacked pair of 2x10s (Avatar) and 500-watt head (either MarkBass LMII or GK MB500) would work perfectly.

Spidey2112 and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^This ...or something similarly tall, so you get speakers near ear-level. In an all-brick room like that it can be difficult to hear yourself, and so you may be tempted to compensate by turning up your volume. This just contributes to more mud in the room.

whbjr, Aqualung60, G-Dog and 2 others like this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I would use my regular rig (clean and punchy) and put some of it through the PA.

Aqualung60, Artman and pudgychef like this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Markbass Blackline 250 and my 4ohm Eden 212.

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    2-12’s in any form and your head of preference.

I’d use my markbass 1-12 combo with 1-12 extension.

I use a Warwick LWA (2 channel) when I need quick swaps between BG and EUB.

SJan3 and BassGH like this.
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Markbass combo 121 lite. ( Plenty of power for that gig. )
    Or my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 with two SL 12 cabs.
    I like 12's, They work great for fretless. Which I've been playing more of lately.

SJan3, BassGH and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Peavey MiniMega 1000 watt head and 2 PVH 212's

14. What choices are available to you for tonight?
    Or do you stop at GC and pick up something on the way to the gig? ;)

Maybe ask the guy who owns the Fender Jazz and Rumble amp shown in the pic, how that setup worked for him? :smug:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  15. Fender Rumble 200 combo. No extension speaker. It will be plenty and sound awesome.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I wouldn’t put any through the EONs. Love them.

17. 210 would do me. Half the audience doesn't hear very well at a wedding.

18. My 2 Aguilar TH500 heads (1 as a backup) and an Aguilar DB112 cab, maybe 2. Sounds great at low volume. More than enough for that room.
    With all that brick and wood floor, that room looks like it would be a loud room.

SJan3 likes this.
  19. Super Bass

Super Bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Probably this one - IMG_1131.JPG not for volume, for the sound..

20. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Would haul my small-venue rig out... MarkBass F1 + 210 + 115. As long as I had the gig before I swapped in my Crown XLS1502...

Pbassmanca likes this.