Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what rigs needs x watts help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Jun 23, 2002.

1. i figure that most bass players who are starting out dont really know how much watts you really need to play live.i have a4x10 and a 1x15 being powerd by my 100 watt combo and iam louder than my guiatre player playing with a marshall.i want a power amp so bad.

i know this isnt right so what gives .

also how much watts should u have going to your cabs to play gigs if you have

1x15 owith a 4x10 or 4x12

1x15 with a 2x10 or 2x12

just a 15 or just a 4x10 or any othere combo u can think of

sorry if any one confused what i really mainly asking is how much watts do u need for x rig to play live.

2. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    There really isn't a rule as to how much power a bassist needs. The only real answer is " enough to get the job done" , whatever that job may be. It all depends on a lot of different factors. If you can be heard onstage AND you're happy with your tone, I'd say you have enough power, but here are some things I beleive:
    1. If you're running your master volume more that half way open to be where you want, you might need more juice. Amps are happier when they're not pushed to their limits ( I'm not talking preamp sections here, which sometimes sound good when being kicked around a bit)

2. Good, CLEAN low end needs lots of power.

3. Headroom is a good thing, a bigger power amp will provide with that.

4. I think 300 watts is okay for your average small to medium club setting, but with a bigger stage or a louder band, it may be inadequate. Extra gas is great to have. you can always turn down a big amp if you have to, but once you've maxed out a small amp, that's it.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rule of thumb:
    You can't have enough power.

300-400W RMS are enough for most cases, but more power will give you more headroom.

4. If you are louder than your guitarist already, why do you want a poweramp? I dont really understand your question - if you're loud enough, you're loud enough.

Greg

5. its to the max.100 watts for a 1x15 and a 4x10.i think more would sound better and i want head room. when my bass has no effects and is just clean like setting the eq knobs the wayt i like it. i cant hear my self with a band.i have to have my pre shape bass boost and treble boost and the mid cut pushed in to be heard clean and i dont like that sound .i like adding alittle bass and alittle mids but when i use the pre shape buttons on my amp to get louder its too much bass and so on. thats why i want a power amp. so all i really need is like 300 to 400 watts what have 200 go to the 4x10 and 100 or 200 to the 1x15.

allso when do u go from not micing your amp to micing .cause once your micing your amp cant u just use a 15 watt amp if u liek the sound

6. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Yep. you need more juice. Your amp is maxed and you're running 5 speakers.

If you're running a 15 and a 4x10, you should be biamping anyways. Find a bi-ampable head with at least 300 watts per channel, I think you'll find your tone will move to a completely different level. I think SWR makes a couple different heads in that category. I'm preferential to Ampeg and would suggest the SVP preamp and a good power amp or go for a SVT 4 pro.

7. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    You mike your amp when the sound guy says, " hey, do you have a DI or do you mike the cab?" A good tech will take a direct line( pre-EQ) for the body and mic the cab for the snap. A large part of them just do with a DI.

Remember, even if you liked the sound of the 15 watt amp, you'd need it thrown in the monitors to hear yourself.Then you're at the mercy of the tech. He(she) can crank you up in the monitors, but you lose a great deal of control over your sound. I don't have my bass thrown in the monitors cuz it just fights with the vocals.

8. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    You mike your amp when the sound guy says, " hey, do you have a DI or do you mike the cab?" A good tech will take a direct line( pre-EQ) for the body and mic the cab for the snap. A large part of them just do with a DI.

Remember, even if you liked the sound of the 15 watt amp, you'd need it thrown in the monitors to hear yourself.Then you're at the mercy of the tech. He(she) can crank you up in the monitors, but you lose a great deal of control over your sound. I don't have my bass thrown in the monitors cuz it just fights with the vocals.

9. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Yep. you need more juice. Your amp is maxed and you're running 5 speakers.

If you're running a 15 and a 4x10, you should be biamping anyways. Find a bi-ampable head with at least 300 watts per channel, I think you'll find your tone will move to a completely different level. I think SWR makes a couple different heads in that category. I'm preferential to Ampeg and would suggest the SVP preamp and a good power amp or go for a SVT 4 pro.

10. how much is a svt 4pro