Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What rosin to use with gut strings?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Nuno A., Oct 6, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I finally decided to start bowing again.....
    I just bought a french bow since i just got a bad german one which i could never handle right....
    Most of the time i play with my 1952 Kay M1 which has G and D plain gut and A and E velvet garbo(gut with metal wound).
    I just would like to know if theres anyone out there who bows with gut strings and what rosin you use.
    thanks in advance.

NUNO

p.s. i live in south Switzerland, warm weather , cold winter but not humid.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I use Kolstein Ultra medium with my Eudoxa / Oliv set. However, the Velvets are rougher windings, so when I used Velvets I would get new hair, start a base coat of Pops, and then use Bernadel Cello rosin from then until my next rehair. Cello rosin wasn't as scratchy.

Monte

3. Monte-
    Did you notice any shortened life in the hair after using the cello rosin?
    I would think it would be ok, but was just curious to see what you found.
    I'm thinking of changing from all steel (very very shot strings) to gut where I do equal bow and pizz.
    so this is all good to know,
    Thanks!
    Evan

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I didn't notice any shortness in hair life, and I would doubt using cello rosin would hurt anything.

Monte

5. Thanks,
    I'll try that out when I get my new strings...
    Any suggestions for Cello Rosin then? Or do the Gods at Pop's make Cello Rosin aswell?
    Cheers,
    Evan

6. Nevermind on those last questions... forgot that you had already made that suggest.
    I'll check it out.
    ...Evan...