What rubber meets the road...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am shopping for new tires for my truck. Anyone got any ideas on what I should get? It's an 85 for ranger 2wd. I need something tough with good snow traction, but not a lot of road noise. It's kinda wierd, but it has 14" wheels. So it's a bit harder to find truck tires for it. I don't want to get car tires for it since they don't have grat load capacity. I thing the tire numbers are 195-70-14. So any help would be appreciated.
  2. Dam I love this site.....you just never know:p
  3. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Michelin is the only tire I buy. Over 70,000 miles on the set I have on my 94 Ranger, and there's enough evenly-worn tread left to last at least until spring.
  4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    The only names I really trust are the aformentioned Michelins and Toyo. Both cost, but worth it. It sounds like the tire you have has a fairly wide footprint, you might want to ask your tire guy if you can go a bit more narrow. Your owner's manual may also give you the range of tire sizes you can use. Width = hydroplaning, more narrow cuts thru the snow a bit better.

I believe my old Ranger had 175/14 or 185/14. Nice little pickup, served me well.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've never owned a truck, but i've been really really happy with dunlops and kumhos. (kumho's were ecsta supra 712 hi-perf summer tires though)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have those tires. the Kuhmo's that is. Mot bad, not the best I've ever had, but not bad.
  7. I just replied to a thread that looked exactly like this one......any kind mods wanting to merge the 2 threads with the same title????:)