Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What rubber meets the road...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am shopping for new tires for my truck. Anyone got any ideas on what I should get? It's an 85 for ranger 2wd. I need something tough with good snow traction, but not a lot of road noise. It's kinda wierd, but it has 14" wheels. So it's a bit harder to find truck tires for it. I don't want to get car tires for it since they don't have grat load capacity. I thing the tire numbers are 195-70-14. So any help would be appreciated.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've been there. The problem is, i want a second(or more) opinion on what to buy. Not just links to sites with tires. I know how to use google. I know how to do a search. I need help in the decision making process. Sorry for being a smart arse, but I've already spent the time exploring my options.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    In your size youre probably not going to find much(if anything) in a truck tire, but you already new that.

You could probably fit a 195 75 14 or even a 205 70 or 75 14 on it without much problem (unless your truck is a lowrider), and that would open up some options for you.

Were you planning on using snows in the winter, or using all seasons all year 'round?

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I am a bit biased seeing how my dad worked for Michelin tire company for just over 30 years, but barring anything major happening to the company, I will never own anything BUT a Michelin, BFGoodrich, or Uniroyal tires. They are usually a bit more expensive, but since tires are the only safety feature on the car that actually touches the road, I don't mind paying a little extra.

Upon saying that, I recommend THESE that are actually a car or minivan tire.

5. I second that

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    After trying several different types of tyres, I have moved onto Michelin tyres myself for my car, and doubt I'll change to anything else. To em they seem real good in the dry and wet, lower road rumble and have decent longevity in them.

I must admit that my bike came factory fitted with Dunlops......and as I've had no problems with them, I'm likely to get them again on my bike.

7. go for the michelin's, great tire and the extra money for them is money well spent. Avoid the dunlop truck tire line, I have the Rover A/T's and IMO the worst tire i have ever driven on due to poor wearing and lack of decent traction.

I like michelins so much i bought a set for my mountain bike.:D

8. If they make a size that will fit (and since you so clearly stated you know how use google, im sure you can find out:rolleyes: )

You cant go wrong with BFG AT's
    over at quadratec.com they seem to be the unanimous choice for best all around tire.

I have the mud terrains on my jeep and love em

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tirerack often has both customer reviews and comparo/test articles (that seem fair and objective, IMO) on any given tire - kinda hard to get better info than that. I've gotten great customer service from Tirerack, too - good operation they've got there.

As for my '93 Ranger pickup, it's nothing but the finest mixed brand sets from the local used tire shanty!

:D

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have a set of BFG Long Trail T/A 235/70 16's on my truck right now and I absolutely love them. It's not just the Michelin's that are great tires, but anything made by them!

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    thanks for the good responses. I think I might try the 205's. It can take up to 215's. It's not riding low. If I could recalibrate the speedometer accurately, I would put 15" wheels on it. It's a stick, so no tranny mods to do. But anyways, I always liked tigerpaws. I need M+S all seasons. So this will point me i the right direction.

12. you can put 15 inch wheels on there if you want, you will just have to use 65 or 60 series tires instead of the 70's without a speedo change.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    thanx nick. nice avatar btw... Where did you get it?:D :rolleyes:

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Any of the name brand tires (Uniroyal, Goodyear etc...) will probably serve you well.
    Imo I'd avoid the el cheapo Pep Boys 4 for $99 tires.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If your Ranger is a 4 banger, then go with smaller tires. I've got 195s on mine. Too wide can put extra stress on the engine, and will also hinder performance, mileage, etc. Also, a thinner tire goes better through the snow.