Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What`s theory for.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Hi,

Just wanted to share something with you.
    I`ve never learned much theory. Have read some basic stuff, played lotsa scales, but that`s bassicaly it.
    In my young man`s arogance, I thought that I don`t need it, just because I have around 600 LP in my colleciton and - basically - know stuff about music. Until yesterday.

I was playing like everyday. I`ve stumbled upon a nice groove, played it a bit, opened my notepad, wrote it. Then it came to me. My fingers put themselves into chords, and when a single note in my bassline seems out of place, it`s the one that out of scale. Damn. My theory knowledge is working in background, somewhere below my concious mind. It`s there. Wow.

Is that good?:)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's just one of many uses - it really comes into its own when you are composing basslines, arranging pieces or thinking of ideas for new tunes.

Without theory, you are almost certainly doomed to play or write things that fall easily under your fingers or to just re-hash what you already know well. Theory can suggest different things to play that you would never have thought of otherwise.

It also means that you can easily and precisely "explain" a songs/idea/concept to other people to allow them to play it.

Lots of other uses as well I'm sure....

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Yup. Gotta get myself some books:) :D

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Try The Jazz Theory Book by Mark levine published by Sher Music Company. At $38 it isn't cheap, but if you put in the needed time with this book, you will gain a deep understanding of theory.