Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What`s with my ears?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Hi guys,

There`s this strange thing - my ears go crazy. I`ve been listening to hours of music everyday, and I also play I lot. I tend to hear the same things differently every day. Kind of a floating feeling. When I go back from my work and put some CD I`ve been listening day before, things sound differently. When I play my bass, I sounds a bit different than day before.
    I have a 100watt combo, and play it usually at 1/2 power. My stereo isn`t that loud too, so I guess I`m not abusing my ears to much... any ideas?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What do you mean exactly - what is happening?

"Kind of a floating feeling. "

Well - you know that ears have the things that determine balance. If you get an ear infection it can give you like Vertigo - where you fall over because your balance is affected.

If you do have an ear infection you need to see a doctor quickly! I had a bug that ate into my eardrum - incredible pain!! If you get a perforated ear-drum then you can't swim or go on aeroplanes.

I was only told later that some perforations (holes) heal up - but you ned to be treated quickly or you will be left permanently damaged! :(

Having said that - it could just be ear-wax - I 've also had a buil-dup of this and it can be very disconcerting. I had my ears syringed and afterwards I was really nervous and jumping all the time, as everything sounded so much louder! I thought every car was rushing towards me!! ;)

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    What do you mean exactly - what is happening?

"Kind of a floating feeling. "

. That`s not it. Sound floats. Not me:)Things sound differently. Ie. there`s a trumpet riff in moloko`s "pure pleasure seaker" - it has a specific sound, I remember it perfectly. When I play it it sounds a bit different. Day later - it sound a bit different than last time. It`s not worse, I don`t loose detail. It`s just different.
    I had the wax thing some time ago, that`s not it. But, yeah, things go loud when your ears are clean;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well from what you said, the wax thing is my best guess - slightly different levels in each ear could affect your stereo imaging of music?

But if your certain it's not this, the only other thing I can think of is psychadelic drugs - so I have heard people who have taken LSD, describing this sort of thing!!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can't relate to this experience exactly, but I've found a couple of similar things... One is listening over headphones as opposed to speakers - if you listen to something over speakers, and then over headphones, don't be surprised if it sounds different. But you didn't mention headphones, so I don't suppose that's it...

The only other times I've had this sort of experience, is when listening to my own music. I'm recording an album at the moment, and I find if I've spent quite a while fiddling with the mix of a song, and I think I've got a pretty decent mix - I then come back the next day, listen to it and think "Yuk, far too much bass" or whatever - it doesn't sound the same after your ears have had a rest. But this is in the nature of recording, and listening back to the same thing many times...

Other than that I've got no ideas

6. Kung Fu

Kung Fu

Oct 18, 2002
    Bath, UK
    It's very important to take care of your ears - if you don't you can permanently damage your ears, and even get a permanent ringing in your ears. I've heard about people who have this ringing and find it incredibly difficult to sleep every night.

So, just be careful, don't turn things up to full volume, but if you do, be sure to give your ears a good rest.

See a doctor if you're worried.

7. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Thanks for help, guys. I`ll go and see a doctor this week - according to your comments my ear problem is far from being something common. I knew it. I`m wierd:)

8. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    "...and I find if I've spent quite a while fiddling with the mix of a song, and I think I've got a pretty decent mix - I then come back the next day, listen to it and think "Yuk, far too much bass" or whatever " - Bite your tongue - what an awful thought. "too much bass", sheesh.

On a more serious note, perhaps your problem is simply ear fatigue, and if you are using headphones, they seem to accelerate ear fatigue, at least they do for me.

9. totaln00b

totaln00b Guest

Sep 24, 2002
    helsinki
    weird

10. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Ok, I`ve talked to the doctor yesterday. I work in a room with 7 or 8 women inside talking to the telephone all the time. I`m not wierd, it`s just ear fatigue. :(

BTW - I`ve also changed battery (i have an active jb), and it kinda blew my head off - GIANT difference in intonation and response. Older battery wasn`t dead yet, and that`s the whole point.I`ve always thought it was one of those hi-end audiophile 1000$ cable voo-doo, but now...