1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what sandpaper do i use?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by neddyrow, Feb 4, 2016.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    mostly a double bass guy but i got my first electric recently (haven't had one for over 10 years). the bass is an epiphone zenith. i really like the bass except for the finish on the neck. my uprights have always had no finish or a satin finish. this one is glossy and i'd like to sand it down. what sandpaper grit should i be using. i just want to remove the finish a little to make it more comfortable but don't want to damage the neck. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Four aught (0000) steel wool. The idea is to de-gloss the finish, not remove it.

• Cover the pickups with masking tape.
    • Guitar face down on padded surface.
    • Rub. Only until you're happy.
    • Vacuum.
    • Remove tape carefully.
    Others will chime in on the evils of 0000. They will suggest 3M Scotch pads. Those work, too.

If you must use abrasive paper, 600 grit is a good place to start.

This is not a permanent solution. Your thumb will eventually polish the finish back to a gloss. It will take a year or two unless the guitar is getting a lot of hours. Just repeat the above sequence. It will be decades before you remove the finish and the neck remains protected from moisture (more or less).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    +1 on the scotch pot scrubber pads.

JustForSport likes this.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Used green ones will give a more satin finish w/o removing as much mat"l as sandpaper or new ones.
    No fine steel fibers sticking to pickups or $trings either.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    +1 for green scotchbrite pad.

Ezy pezy, no tape, no mus no fuss.

A little goes a very long way. A few passes and check it. Repeat until you are happy with the feel. A slightly dampened rag to get the sanding dust and you will be GTG.

6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

1500 (or 1000) grit Wetordry, by 3M, will de-gloss a neck. I use it on my upright, as well.
    Or, (below) Grey Scotchbrite pad #07448- less aggressive than the Green.
    k2-_0ead4e5b-79eb-432a-800d-4c9b3f174cbb.v1.

7. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    Thanks everyone!!