Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What say you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cassanova, Jul 26, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My friend, who happens to be a drummer of approximatly 14 years got a call to play a gig. The gig date is August 27th. Roughly 4 - 5 weeks away. He accepted the gig & is now thinking about cancelling. He has no musicians to play with him for the gig so he probably call the club and cancell about a week before the show.

He's worried about making himself look like a fool. He doesnt think 4-5 weeks is enough time to put together a functional band. Ive tried telling him that it is more than enough time if he can get the right people to do the job for him and as long as everyone comes to rehearsals prepared & if they dont know their parts at the rehearsal theyre gone, no questions asked.

He also tried the members of his old band, one said no, 2 others said maybe, (the 2 are in other bands so they cant commit just yet) Im tryin to tell him that the one will definatly do it if he doesnt have to gig, and to forget about the others and move on. Ive written down names of people I know and have played with for him to call as well. Other than telling him what I told him, writing down names and numbers of competent musicians, and calling him a chicken **** coward a few times, I cant think of any other advice to give him to boost his confidence to get him off his scared ass to play the gig. (Me, my brother, and some friends honestly believe he's scared because of the 4-5 week deadline and him having a minimum amount of time to rehearse with everyone.

Does anyone out there with more experience have any ideas to motivate him and try and convince him that 4-5 weeks is ample time and a good band can be put together to complete the gig.

BTW, Id probably be the bassist, thats why Im on him so hard. :bassist:

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's more than possible - that's often just the way it is! Heck, now that I think about it, in every gigging band I've been in, I've NEVER been given more than a month before the first gig.

Sounds like he might be set in the mode of thought that he can't do it... in which case there isn't much that you can do. The best thing you can do is continue to point out that you have faith in his ability, that the gig will be fun, that he can do it. Offer your help if he still seems unsure.

Also, if he's going to cancel, better he do it NOW than a week before.

Do you think he's really unsure of his ability or just too lazy to put in the work required?

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I think its a combination of a few factors.

1. He never wants to take his precious e-tronic kit out of his back room or rehearse anywhere else but his place. (for reason just listed)

2. He's been jamming mostly with friends, so when they all quit on him and couldnt or wouldnt commit to the gig, I think he got a bit spooked about being able to find any competent musicians.

3. He also said something about not wanting to be stressed by this or put in too much work. Like when I was writing names and #'s on his board he was like "thats just too much work to have to do"

4. He's chicken ****. His meters off at times & my brother and a few other people have let him know that, even though he denies it, it could be a confidence factor as well.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I can't see why it would be wrong to do that - just so long as you're sure he isn't going to do the gig and you ask him if he's cool with it first.

From what you've said so far, it sounds like his heart isn't really in it...

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Why don't you ask him if he would mind? If he isn't going to do it anyway, I am sure he would rather have a friend do it than a stranger.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im pretty sure he'll mind, cause he's wierd like that. But Im going to ask him anyway, just outta respect.

What Im also going to do, is approach the singer he's got his eyes on. (just for the gig though) I know thats somewhat dickish but hey its business right? :ninja:

From what I hear shes got a great set of pipes, stage experience, and is quite the looker too. More over she'd probably be able to do the style of music that Im wanting to do for the gig. (Classic-Current R&B & Dance)

BTW, that Cass Jehova was a good one, very very original.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I say, .... "NI!!"

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    as my old man says... "s**t or get off the pot!"

tell him flat out, if he doesn't want the gig, you will take it. Just tell him you'd prefer him at the kit and hope he rises to the challenge.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Now--go chop down the mightiest tree in the forest with......................................A HERRING!!!!!

Ok, enough with the Monty Python stuff for now :p

If he is going to cancel anyway, I would go ahead and do it without him. 4-5 weeks with competent musicians is more than enough time to put together enough material to cover a night.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I spoke with him today. He still hasnt cancelled just yet. He's still undecided, but is also putting ad's out on the net to try and find people.

I told him that if he's not going to do the gig, then Id put together something in a pinch and play it and would prefer him on the sticks, but if he doesnt wanna do the drummin either, thats fine with me too.

He wasnt cool with the idea of me or anyone else workin the gig if he doesnt. He feels since his name is on the line he feels nobody else should do the gig unless he's part of it, this way he cant be embarassed should the other band be bad.

I also told him that Id like to use the singer he's tryin to jam with. He didnt go for that either, so I found her number and plan on callin her anyway. I feel I dont need his permission to ask her to do a side job.