What scale strings are for string-thru body?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gsummer, Apr 3, 2001.

1. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    I am buying a new bass and I need to get new strings for it. It has a string-thru body bridge which I have heard requires longer strings. Are there certain string brands that won't work for a 32" scale bass with string-thru bridge? What length of string do I need? Any suggestions?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

32" is a midget scale in the bass world. You shouldn't have any problem, even if the tuning gears are 4-on-a-side. (If it's 5 gears on one side, that may be different). A lot of good strings offer extra long scale at no extra charge, (with some, that's all they offer), so you could play it safe. Most strings give you enough that you need to cut off the excess.

If you want, let us know the make/model of the bass and the make of strings you're looking at.
  3. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    32" is a midget scale in the bass world.

Damn, that was a typo. I meant standard 34" scale. I don't know what I was thinking. It is going to have a 3 and 1 tuner setup like a musicman. So if I bought strings that are extra long scale they would be fine? I want to get some DR-Lo Rider nickel, will they work do you think?
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I have a string thru body Fender P bass and use standard 34" scale strings with no problem.
  5. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Ok, cool. The guy who is building my bass (Dave Pushic, who is great to work with by the way) told me that string-thru bridges sometimes required longer strings. If you have no problem then I will assume I won't either.
  6. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I don't think that you'll have a problem with the string length especially since you have the 3+1 configuration.I just finished installing a new bridge and ferrules that I machined myself from brass on my Fender Precision and have experienced no problems with the string length.I did however make the ferrules "extra long"[ one inch long],to try and head off any potential problems in that regard.But,as someone said,strings are usually way too long in the first place and you should be okay as long as you buy strings of a "recognized" brand.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Should be no problem. I'm a DR user ("Marcus". a.k.a. "Fat Beams") and have used their others in the past. I always had to cut off a lot of excess on my 2 string-through-bodies. I think Hi-Beams are the only DR's I recall in ex-long scale. But I know of guys who have 35" scales and have to cut the excess of the regular scale DR's.
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have a Roscoe Beck and a long set is too short for the string-through body option. I need extra-longs for string-through.
  9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Be careful because between maufacturers there is a lot of differences in length even between common types. For example, long scale Rotosound Swing Bass 66 worked fine on my string through body jazz but D'Addario Slowound long scale came up short on the E string due to the silk wrap. D'Addario XL long scale was fine though, because they have no silk wrap. DR strings don't have a silk wrap so they should not pose a problem on a 34" string through body bridge. Like rickbass1 said, you'll probably end up cutting them.
  10. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    You can always cut,or burn?,the silk wrap off can't you?.That's one of the reasons why I now favour strings without the wrap nowadays.