Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what scale

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iamlowsound, Dec 29, 2005.

1. the bass that i am making is going to be tuned ADGC, so i was wondering what is the best scale for this tuning. i was thinking eather 33" or 32", tell me what you think

lowsound

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    what's wrong with 34"? All you'd have to do it just slot the nut and bridge to fit those strings, you don't need to make it short scale.

Greg

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    34" will work, but 33 and 32 will work too. Your tension will be a bit lower the shorter your scale so if that appeals to you then go shorter. If your hands are smaller than average, then go 33/32 as well.

Myself, I'd probably do a tenor as a 32" scale bass because I like the shorter scale and lower tension.

4. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Josh Helms is fnishing a 5 string E-C fretless for me right now. Then I will have a 30", 32", 4, 5 & 6 string - 34"ers & a 36" all fretless. :D

32" is a nice compromise if you're going for a bass/melodic instrument.

5. i have smallish hands that are very flexable (i can hit the 2<6> harmonic for POT). i like looser strings, so i am thinking 33" then

lowsound

6. ok new question, i still want to use .100-.45 strings. what is the best scale length for ADGC tuning?

lowsound

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    a .100 tuned to A? dont try this on a 34". heh. i assume you want this cos you want to be able to buy normal 4 string bass strings to use?

um, the tension in the strings will be the same as a 34" if the nut was at the 5th fret position... sort of like a permanent capo. i dont have my fret calculator with me, but im thinking its about 5 inches between a 34" nut and a 34" 5th fret.

um, if you accept my calculations, you could do with a 30" for slightly tighter strings than on a normal bass, 29" would do fine too, IMHO.

anything longer than 32", i'd buy string insurance. and probably void it, as well.