Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what scales would go with this

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassandlax, Jan 25, 2002.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys,

me and my guitarist jam on this track alot... i was wondering if you could suggest some scales, arpegios, modes, ect for me to improvise on.. my straight major and minor scales are getting a little boring

the track goes:

g
    d
    a 2 3 4~ 4 4 4 4 4 3 2~
    e 0 2~ 0 2~

and the chorus goes:

g
    d 7 7 6 5 o|
    a 9~9~9 5~5~5 |
    e 7~7~7 5 5 4 3 o|

thanks guys... im getting sick of that f# penatonic minor

joe

2. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    crap... it didnt post right
    umm
    i guess it goes
    e f# b c c# c# c b# e f#

f# b d a g# g f# f#

sorry...

3. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    fyi thats the same note.

4. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    yeah forget it guys...
    i know a b# is a c btw lol
    typo

ill figure it out myself thanks though, later

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    My teacher told me that arpeggio's are kind of just broken down chords,but i dont really know much about them.find lessons on the internet about them.You could try different scales,I really like blues scales,very groovy indeed!Just experiment with different scales and you should be able to find something you like.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People, I'm moving this to General Instruction.

I think we all need to give that forum some attention.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm not sure as to what you want us to suggest.

the example you tabbed out uses the F# blues scale (the B, C, and C# are dead giveaways).

you say that you are getting sick of the F# minor pentatonic scale, which is almost the same scale, sans C natural.

maybe you should try a different approach to the same scale. that is, don't play the same sequence of notes that you are used to.

i guess you can also try out F# harmonic minor, but i am warning you that it sounds middle-eastern, which you may not prefer. personally i like it and it may even sound interesting playing a solo in F# harmonic minor over an F# pentatonic riff.

the sequence of notes:
    F#, G#, A, B, C#, D, F, F#, etc. (it's the natural 7th, F in this case, that makes it sound...interesting)

arpeggio:

F# minor:
    F#, A, C#, F#, A, C#, etc.
    play the F# with your middle finger, A with your pointer finger, C with your ring finger, octave with your pinky. don't just stop at the octave.
    arpeggios are pretty useful and sound pretty cool when done fast and make good transitional devices.

is this any help?

8. I wish I knew what the heck you guys were talking about.

Oh well someday.

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    mike88t,learn basic scales and move up from there,its really not too confusing once you get into it.

10. I'm kind of learning on the fly from one of the guys I practice with. He has Music school training and is very good on Guitar and Percussion. Tonight he showed me what a “Minor third?” is, I think. We tend to start conversations on music while we are plugged in and most only last 10 min or so before somebody plays something and we kind of lose track. It’s not as efficient as lessons but it’s free and more Fun, of course it will take longer.
    I think I know what a scale is, well at least I play 8 notes from pretty much any fret and it sounds right, I believe he called it a Major scale. Pretty proud of myself for picking out “Joy To the World” after a few minutes of playing in C.
    I keep running into “HUH?” situations, like F# what’s that about, (maybe it was B# or maybe #B, still haven’t nailed down how to write notes) asked Josue about it but somebody started playing Led Zep and it slipped my mind. I have been doing searches on here and found some stuff but would appreciate any advice on where to go for more.

By the way “Slap” just eludes me as a concept, even after I listened to an instructional CD. Not that I am trying to learn, I’m pretty happy getting thru a song without fret buzz right now.
    :D

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I didnt think there was a B# note. Only B and Bb

12. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well, it depends on the context. If you are in a key with alot of sharps, say C# then a B# might just come up. It's the last in the line of notes to be sharped. Sonically it is a C natural, but since you already have a C# in the key sig, it has to be written as B#, but it is fretted and sounds like C. So really it's just a question of being written correctly in notation.

Chris A.:rolleyes:tabevil.

13. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Really appreciate some of you guys stepping in to help out this fellow with his questions. Sometimes we forget the first time we hung that bass on our shoulder and didn't have a forum like this to pose questions to. I get bothered when a few of the members here answer with a sharp tongue to some of us newbies. I have always been treated with respect but have noticed some really getting belted for beginner questions.
    Once again thanks to you guys that help us all out regardless of how much knowledge we have.

bcarll

14. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks brad.

i like that harmonic minor scale, even though it does sound kinda funny... but it has some character in it. im just trying to get myself out of the penatonic slump.

thanks again,

joe (who swears he isnt as confused as he sounds ;) )

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I believe that such notes are called enharmonic. Same note, 2 different names.

Hey :rolleyes:tabevil, I like your new name!

PHLEGM TABEVIL