1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Schroeder cab do you own,what Bass & Head do ya use,what's your sound&band like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DAcat, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Well, Schroeder cabs have been around for awhile,but I was curious who had what type of cabs,what they were using for a bass guitar,and power amps,how would you describe the sound that you get, (also any special amp settings you liked that contribute to your sound),and what kind of music you play,and describe your band if you're in one...(I know its a long winded question but at least I didn't ask for your picture )...:D... I'll go first...I have a Schroeder 410 "original"that I power with a Yorkville XS800 head,and play an Ibanez SR900 4 string bass. I have a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI which I usually have plugged in but not turned on. My tone controls on my amp are pretty flat across the board except for a slight boost in the bass, and slight decrease in the treble. I mix the pre-amp tube and s/s tone pretty equally.I keep the tube drive off(I like a clean sound). On my active bass EQ,I have the mid flat,slightly decrease the treble,and slightly boost the bass,and keep my pickups balanced most of the time. I would describe my tone as deep,warm,dark,clear,punchy, precisely loud and full when needed whenever my time to play-out comes. Our band plays a cross between Blues/Rock/Jazz/Cajun....Think new Bob Dylan meets The Stones meets Chris Isaak meets Little Feat meets Johnny Winter meets Bill Frisell ....Two loud,clear guitars with some slide work( each with a 1/2 stack),a funky drummer,working in a key board player,and my self laying down:bassist: the groove...the band has never sounded better since I got my Schroeder-I love :) it...Peace...DAcat:cool:

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have a mini 12 on a 1210 powered by an iAMP 800. I'll use a Sterling or a 55-02 depending on who and where. Amp is pretty flat, with both contour buttons on. I adjust for effect on the basses. Works for me. Compact, powerful thickitude with authority, that's easy to transport. I have no pedals, processors, although I don't mind a bit of delay to fatten things up, I mostly just plug straight in. Sounds pretty good the way it is, so leave it, eh?

I like the mix of styles you mentioned, sounds like really fun material. Playing funky groove based stuff is the best when you got like minded folks.

One band plays latin, blues, rock, funk, with attitude, the other is more jazz, standards, some blues, even country.

3. As of this week I'm using a Schroeder 410 coupled with a Mtd 435 and a Ampeg SVT Classic head... I still haven't used it live, but in rehersals the sound is Very good, very punchy and very clear.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Schroeder 310212 & 1212
    SVT 4pro
    Crown Macrotech 2400

5 string Basses by Zon, Lakland, Warwick, G&L, & Fender

Bottm heavy tone, more old school than new. I generally don't care for clacky clicky highs. Think John Paul Jones.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    -Schroeder 1212R 4ohm
    -Peavey Max 700 head
    -Spector Euro 5

My EQ settings are mostly flat with a light boost on the bass & mids. I don't use any effects. I would consider my band to be Alt. Rock/Hard Rock. If you were to twist my arm and ask who we sound like I would have to say a mix between Foo Fighters/Dredg/Chevelle/Taproot...I wanted to go for a really deep, warm tone at first, but after getting the schro and the peavey, the rounder tone really seemed to fit.

6. 1210R
    Mini12+FR
    Powered by iAmp800 (no tuner)
    Playing Ken Smith 5MW and ,not very often, '66 Jazz

I usually play the EA flat with Contour 1 engaged. I boost the Smith bass eq slightly, treb eq flat, mid eq flat or cut slightly.
    I use the Mini for my small room gigs and rehearsals, the 1210 for the mid-size rooms and both cabs for large gigs and outdoors.

I play all styles from palm-muted trad jazz to funk and latin.

I like my sound to be fairly even most of the time, not too much of any freq but fat reggae and high-end zing sounds are in there if I need them!

I have only used both cabs on a couple of outdoor gigs and I'm looking for any suggestions on "cab configuration".
    I have set the Mini atop the 1210 for compactness and convenience.

Hey Blueszilla, how do you set up with both cabs?

Later, Kirk

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Sweet rig Kirk, you have good taste. :smug:

I've tried a few setups, most common has been 1210 on the bottom, but vertical with the angled speaker pointed up, the 'Schroeder' label on the left as you view the cab. The mini 12 on top in the same fashion, and my rack on that. A few times I've set the mini next to the drummer, and use the 1210 behind me. Still sounds good. However this past weekend we played three days at the same venue, but had to tear down/setup each time and played in 3 different spots (grand opening for a folk art dealer). On Sunday I decided to stack the cabs in the more tradtional way, 1210 on bottom horizontally, with the mini on top and rack on that. I must say, sounded smoother and 'beefier' than the others. I was very pleased with the sound, but will have to do this in other venues to confirm.

Most everyone is surprised, in a good way, with the tone and oomph I can get out of this modest looking rig.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i own a schroe 1210 with a mini 12L on the way. i use it with a Focus SA (poweramp), Bass PODxt (preamp) and a fender geddy lee. The tone I achieve is warm but not muddy in the least. I have never been happier with my tone. The 1210 has alot to do with it!
    i play classic rock covers with my band The Electric Luddites. Guitar, keys, drums, bass, female vocals.

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I"m running a mini12+ light airhead with a Mesa Walkabout.

My main bass is a Schecter deluxe 4.

My general setting for the mesa is everything flat with the bass boosted a little. Sometimes I'll make some adjustments on the parametric...but it usually isn't necessary. I make most of my tone variations on my bass. With the Schecter in my band I run the neck pickup hot and slightly boost one of my tone knobs. I"m not sure exactly what the knob controls but it can add way too much overdrive to the bottem if I boost it too much. I end up just boosting it slightly for some growl.

:cool:

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5

BBE BMAX-T Preamp
    Crest LT-1000 (previous)

Ampeg SVT 5-Pro (previous)

Ashdown ABM Evo II 500 (current)

Schroeder 410

Strongly dont recommend the BBE with this cab unless you're the "sine-wave" sound fan. Not alot of definition.

Ampeg SVT-5 IMHO will sound bad with any cab and is just generally garbage..... **IMHO** IME** ** FWIW**@**

Ashdown mates super well with this cabinet. My sound is really very present in the lowest frequencies, and I boost my high mids alot to give a greater attack for fast fingerstyle playing. I leave the horn off.

have a listen to track 3 here: www.myspace.com/sonofmourning

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1210R
    1212R
    Mini12R (might trade in for an 8ohm tweeterless 1212L)
    Peavey Classic 400
    Pair of Benavente 51 series

tones: think somewhere between Anthony Jackson, Lucky Scott, Tyrone Brown & George Porter Jr.... but fretless, with more strings and with MUCH less talent :bassist:

strong bass and mids with a bit of grit but mostly Clear but Lush.

I'm bandless but auditioning for anything that doesn't appear to completely suck (oldies, surf, Beatles, country, jam, radio rock, etc over the last year). Plus I hope to piece together a pseudo jazz thing with or without 70s soul, R&B and/or funk tendencies this summer.

...and I have a new desire to put together a Black Sabbath Tribute band :smug:

12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 OR Lonnybass fretless 5 -

Alembic F-1X preamp
    Aphex 109 tube parametric
    BBE sonic maximizer
    Stewart World 2.1 power amp

1 x 1010
    1 x 1210

Typically I stack the cabinets vertically, with the 1210 on the bottom and both angled speakers firing up. I find that it's a LOT easier to hear myself without cranking it. So much definition from the tweeter is lost when they are firing directly into your pant legs. Anyways, I've found the Alembic F-1X's old school minimal mids tubey tastiness to be a good match for the Schro's - if I need a bump here or there I can use the parametric, especially for fretlessing or to find a sweet spot in the mix of guitars. Generally, I leave the controls on the Alembic at their "flat" setting - that is, 2-10-2, but occasionally will add some treble to get some additional bite if my strings are starting to go.

My band plays primarly 70s and 80s rock/dance covers in medium to large size venues with full PA support. My rig has no trouble holding its own against a pair of Marshall cabinets and two loud guitarists.

Lonnybass

13. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Interesting-most of you are using rigs with configurations of 3 or more speakers,sometimes 2 cabs sometimes 1, and most of you are using amps that are 700+ watts to really power your cabs. Most are also leaving settings fairly flat except for possibly some mild bass boost. I think its really interesting how different the rigs are,and the individual approaches to using them,yet there are also some overall similarities...Peace...DAcat:cool:

14. I have a 1212R 4 ohm, which i power with an Eden WT550 and use either a Washburn XB200, Cort JPS5 or Double bass.

I use this setup every week in a trad jazz band and the sound is incredible. I normally boost the bass a bit when playing with an electric and the tone is awesome. It also sounds incredible with a Double Bass with some extra highs to bring out the growl of the double bass.

15. This is turning out to be an interesting thread!

I won't have the luxury of modifying my set-up for our outdoor gig in Steamboat Springs this weekwnd so I'll just put the Mini atop the 1210 on the right end so that the angled speakers align and move it to the left halfway through the two hour set and listen for any differences.
    I will usually set up to my drummer's right (stage right?) and he loves it!
    I'm playing with an artist named Leon Joseph Littlebird (really) who does tastey R&B style originals and classic covers. Our other player is filling in with electric and acoustic guitar, fiddle and mandolin for a very cool blend of styles.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Later, Kirk

16. I've been using an Ampeg SVT3 Pro with a Schroeder Mini 12. I recently picked up a GK 800RB. I play almost exclusively on a Moses Graphite Custom Jazz. I push really hard to get a classic scooped out funky tone and play fingerstyle. The mini 12 wants to give out lots of mids but it responds really well to some sharp EQ. It appears that I'm one of the few people silly enough to run a Mini 12 by itself:D \
    My band is called the Evan Alexander Band. We are a funky, folk-rock acoustic originals band. We play all over Australia and have even played one gig on the East coast on a Friday, followed by a gig on the West coast on the Saturday! Now that was a bad hangover at work on the Monday!
    The venues we play range from tiny acoustic clubs up to some large rock venues. In the little clubs, the Mini 12 is tight, funky and amazing. In the larger venues, with the foldback screaming, I tend to wonder if I exist - which serves me right for trying to run a single 12 on a stage designed for 8x10s! As my Mini12 is a 4 ohm, it may have to be sacrificed for something bigger and 8ohm to run with my 2x10. It's not an easy choice. The Mini 12 is amazing.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    the mini 12 is one loud mutha. if any single 12 can handle what you are doing the mini is it. Two would be ideal.

18. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    - 1212R
    - GK 1001RB-II
    - Fender J/Fender P/Smith 5MW

I run the GK flat most of the time, contour at 0, presence at 0, and boost all the way up. Sometimes I have to cut a little bass or low-mid to get some clarity in a funny room or if I'm in a corner and close to the walls. I use the onboard tone controls on each bass to very my tone.

I'm usually going for a deep booty-shakin' funky thump tone.

My band is a 14 piece funk/R&B/dance band (www.bootyvortex.com).

19. ok ok, you got me...

Warwick thumb NT 5 or corvette $$ 5
    EBS Microbass II, with DBX 166XL through the fx loop
    Fender 300 Pro into Schroeder 310212R

Pretty much run everything flat unless I have to tweak the amp for the room...