Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 30, 2002.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you guys use the buffer you use on your car to buff scratches on your bass like the kind of scraches that are normal for the back of the bass. Thanks
  2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I wouldn't go so far as using a rotary or orbital buffer on a bass unless you're really skilled at using one. You could potentially eat right through the finish or at least swirl it up beyond ugly. However, having said that, some may say I am crazy, but as a person who shows a car in car show competitions, and takes home trophies doing it sometimes, I have used car finish products to restore a bass finish with no ill effects. I used to have a black Ibanez SR400 I bought used that was covered with light surface scratches and looked pretty lousy. I worked 99.9% of them out by hand buffing with GS27 scratch remover, an automotive product available at any autoparts or department store. It not only got rid of the scratches, but it, along with a coat of Zaino Z1 Polish Lok and a couple of coats of Z2 Show Car Polish left a scratch free deep mirrored finish. These are polishes, not waxes. When I eventually sold it, the buyer commented that it looked brand new. There was no affect on the sound either. Of course many will say that an Ibanez SR400 sounds like crap to begin with! :D I have done some slight finish buffing out of scratches on my black/white Fender and it works just as well on a Fender finish. Deep scratches into the bass body itself will not come out via this method. Only mild scratches in the finish will benefit, so don't overdo it. This brings the warning that scratch removers such as GS27 and others do contain very mild abrasives so you need a careful touch and you need to know when to stop or you'll eat through the finish eventually. Your results may vary. Always try it on the back first!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know for a fact that Carvin uses Maguire's car polish on their showroom basses. I used it on my Jazz Deluxe V, it looks bitchen, with no problems. No, this one is not a joke. Many guitar makers use automotive paints on their solid color guitars.
  4. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Ive been using car polishes forever on by gear with the exception of really old guitars with checked finish.
    I have used a variety of scratch removers with intense success. They are micro-finish products.
    Whether to use an oribital buffer depends on the finish. If you have newer bass made overseas or even a newer Fender, the coat is a plastic base and almost impossible to burn through with a buffer. Even the most powerful strippers can't touch those clear coats.
    I agree with LoJoe and Munji, go to your local automotive shop and pickup some good scratch remover and a good polish (Maguires #7) is a good choice.
    By no means will you be able to get rid of deep scratches made by belts and such but you can get your instrument clean and looking great.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The scratches i have are on the back of my jack bass they are just light surfaces scratches. So if i apply the mcguires polish to a rag you think i should have some luck. Dosent sadowsky use a buffer to get slight scratches out. Their is a picture on his site www.sadowsky.com