1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What second bass do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figglypuff, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Figglypuff

Figglypuff

Dec 29, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I currently own a Squier Affinity Jazz bass, but after playing a lot more lately I think its time to spend some money on a new bass, and still hold onto my Squier. I'm looking to spend 400-600$ on a used bass, but I am not sure what I should be looking for. Since I enjoy playing my squier jazz I am interested in upgrading to a nicer MIM Fender Jazz. However I am also interested in maybe switching it up and getting something a little different sounding than the Jazz I already own. I've been pretty interested in some Ibanez, Schecter, Aria, and Bacchus guitars. Any recommendations? I like having a thin thin Jazz neck, and versatility in what kinds of music I play.

Edit: so I bought a used G&L tribute L2000 in Amber that was made in Korea. And I love playing it! Thanks for all of the recommendations, you all helped me find a great bass!

IMG_5818.JPG

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What kinds of music do you play? Have you tried any active basses? I am going through an all passive phase right now, but have enjoyed my time with several active basses and found them useful.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a 5 string.

To that end, a versatile bass with a thin neck and really nice within your budget sceeams Ibanez Soundgear (SR505) or Yamaha TRBX505.

ltsg, ThinCrappyTone, msg63b and 10 others like this.
  3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    maybe check out some g&l tributes like the L2000 or the M2000

Corbusier, bdgotoh, SJan3 and 9 others like this.
  4. Figglypuff

Figglypuff

Dec 29, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I've been playing a lot of Metallica with my roommates lately, but we also like to play a lot of Jimi Hendrix, and some psychedelic rock. I've never tried an active bass before, but I think I'd find the active controls really useful. Both sound like great recommendations. Ive also had my eye on some Ibanez SR900s

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Figglypuff

Figglypuff

Dec 29, 2014
    Wisconsin
    How's the build quality on the tribute models?

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my tribute guitar is really nicely built, i've never tried one of the basses

Figglypuff likes this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    A P bass would complement the Jazz. Both have different voices. You could use one with rounds and the other with flats.

Kenny Burg, Crooker, msg63b and 10 others like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Second to none.
    I bought one after finally getting the opportunity to play one of these at Robbie's music and it made me a firn believer… it was every bit as nice as the USA-made L2000 I replaced it with.
    Nothing quite like the L2000…best stock pickups and best stock bridge, very versatile, and the ability to go fully passive.
    Yes, it still works even without a battery!
    IMG].

9. Figglypuff

Figglypuff

Dec 29, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Great to hear! The L2000 was originally what I was hoping to buy, but I was unsure about the tribute vs usa quality

pjbassist, mpdd and jd56hawk like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I still go to Robbie's and look at the L2000 they have.
    Never been a fan of burst finishes or basses without a pickguard until I tried that one.
    I was in there last month and tried the one they had…$700 brand new but worth every penny.
    I bought mine for $525 new. Shouldn't have sold it, regretted in the minute I walked out the door at Sam Ash, but I bought my USA-made L2000 at reverb and I was making monthly payments, so…
    Someone got a really good deal on it, though, so that's cool.
    i2p0jt.

Swampish and Glazenn like this.
  11. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Sire p7.

12. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    If you like the Jazz bass feel, I'd personally take the used MIM route and get different tones via different string types like Badwater suggested. There are also models of P-basses with Jazz necks as well - either stock or guys switch the neck themselves. If you ever come across a MIJ Fender Jazz Special (it's a PJ bass from the early 90's), it might fall into your upper price range and the pickups are awesome in my opinion. No upgrades necessary and a good range of tone options. I see them come up every so often for good prices.

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    be aware the Tribute necks are not normally considered thin like a Jazz, mine likely would not suit you at all.
    it sounds like you wish to make a substantial jump in the whole bass package and a Trib could be it if you find one you can enjoy. but there are nice used Peaveys that may do the trick, some go for far less than your price range, get two!

14. Figglypuff

Figglypuff

Dec 29, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I have some pretty big hands, so I don't know how big of an issue the neck size will actually make for me. I plan on trying out a few different basses this week to see if a thin neck is really what I want.

mpdd likes this.
  15. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    using 'proper' technique will obviously get you farther with virtually any neck vs being a neck grabber.
    you may get on well with the 2000, I did, but only after fiddling my butt off to find some of their acclaimed diversity.

16. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Banned

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    A lot cheaper than what you have planed, but I know I have really been enjoying my sub short scale Ibanez Mikro P/J bass with a scale length of just 28,6".

Eventual use the money saved on a nice pair of pickups to upgrade it with.

At least a P/J and a short scale of some sort might be worth looking into.

As some already suggested Fender Mustang also fits this bill.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  17. Go to Guitar Center .com, type in SRX in the search.

That's the SR eXtreme model of Ibanez.
    They're great bang for buck & you can get the top of that line (SRX700) for around $300.

I've got a SRX2EX2 & with Stainless strings on it & Cobalt flats on my Premium Ibanez, they sound very similar.
    What I'm saying is the SRX performs almost as good as a near top-of-the-line instrument.

Johnny Crab and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Get yourself a FRETLESS! Are you right-handed? Make it a LEFTY Fretless!!!

LEFTY FRETLESS FOR THE WIN!

dmt, liquidate, zoonose and 1 other person like this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Indiscernible from US models, to most. They really blow other budget instruments out of the water.

SJan3 and Glazenn like this.
  20. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    Get a bass with humbuckers or soapbars since you already have single coils

Figglypuff and Moody Tuner like this.