1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Semi Hallowbody Bass Has the Largest Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, May 16, 2018 at 7:39 AM.

Tags:
  1. Member8675309

Member8675309 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    4D166FBA-F289-4AF4-ACD6-D91D5F05DDC9. Man, for a semi-hollow, I’d go Guild or Gibson. The Pelham Blue Midtown, to me, is sooo sweet looking, but not SS. They seem to be some of the larger ones out there, as far as my limited research goes, anyway.

funkinbottom likes this.
  2. Member8675309

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    A lot more hollow bodies out there than I knew. I assumed full hollow was the rarity. It seems pretty evened out.

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Which of the Thundercats signed it?

Veldar, funkinbottom and sigterm like this.
  4. Member8675309

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Might want to check Chowny.

5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Yeah, seem like it huh? It would be nice if the Artcore was semi hollow. Or something similar to Gibson jazz body, like an ES175, only semi hollow and 30" scale. I jump on that. A friend of mine has a kit bass kinda like that, but again, full hollow, and 34" scale.

Member8675309 likes this.
  6. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    moonshinegtrs likes this.
  7. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Fender Coronado is a sizable boi. Also a second for the Fender Starcaster.

8. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Flores_Jorge.

9. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Sorry, I meant to second, or third, the Fender Modern Player Starcaster. NOT the beginner's solid body Starcaster.

Starcaster headstock.

Old Blastard likes this.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Noob Supporting Member

My Dillion is fairly large but not the thickest body. I'd have to get out the tape measure to tell you. However, it is not short scale.

My Dillion 534-004 Semi-Hollow that I bought brand new in November
    ykyy8e7dsyyqlsshwkju-. wjat8jioi9efpergozxz-.

Bound Maple semi-hollow body
    Bound F holes and a 4 ply pickguard
    Bound set neck with Indian rosewood fingerboard
    White Pearl dot inlays + side markers
    20 Hand polished 2.7 mm Frets
    Wilkinson deluxe bass gears
    1 ½ inch Graphite nut width
    Two volume, two tone, plus a 3 way switch
    2 Dillion custom alnico pickups
    D’Addario Strings ( 45 – 100 )
    34 Scale length
    11 inch radius

The mud bucker tone knob is push-pull for coil split and really changes the clarity of the mud bucker pup without noticeable noise

I guess this is based on a cross between the old Gibson EB-2D and the newer Midtown?
    It is a little on the heavy side but it is really nice fit, finish and sound wise

As far as size what are you really looking for? Biggest body length, biggest body width, biggest body thickness (depth) front to back? What scale?

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  11. B-Mac

Although this particular 'club' (link below) is titled 'Hollowbody' you can probably get some more info there as well.

Hollowbody Bass Club!

Good luck on your quest!

12. B-Mac

Although some people get an ABG and Hollowbody/Semi-hollowbody bass guitar confused, @Paulabass is absolutely correct, the two are not the same animal. One has magnetic pickups and the other has a piezo pickup under the saddle.
    Hollow/Semi-Hollow are almost always archtops and ABGs are flat front and back.

An ABG is technically hollow compared to a solid body bass, but it is really a modified acoustic guitar. Only the Zenith by Epiphone has both a piezo under the saddle and a magnetic pickup at the base of the neck and is Hollow or semi-hollow (not sure which) and I believe is also an archtop.

I love Archtop basses. Regardless of who makes them I think they're works of art.
    I have a few and always seem to lust for more when I see them.

These are what I have currently:

1. Gretsch G5442BDC Electromatic (2015) Maple Hollow Body Black Gloss Passive Short Scale 30.25-inch bought used
    2. Gretsch G5123B Electromatc (2011) Maple Hollow Body Trans Orange Gloss Passive Medium Scale 32-inch bought used
    3. Ibanez AGB140-TBR-12-01 (2004) Trans Brown (Semi-hollow Body) 34-inch bought used Passive
    4. Gretsch 6073 Electrotone (2006) Burgundy Trans 30.25-inch (sealed Hollow body) bought used Passive
    5. Ibanez (2014) AGB205 DVS 12-01 5 String Dark Violin Burst Bass Guitar 30.5-inch Passive bought used
    6. Eastwood Classic 5 (2017) (custom order 1 of 12) 30.5-inch Passive bought new
    7. Ibanez AFB200 SRD 12-04 (2008) Sunset Red (Semi-hollow Body) 30.5-inch bought used Passive
    8. Samick HFB490 A/E Samick preamp Archtop w/F holes Spruce/Mahogany 34-inch (1999) bought used
    9. Dillion DB-534-004 Semi-Hollow 4 string passive 34-inch (2016) set neck bought new
    10.Ibanez AGB200 VLS 12-03 (2013) AGB200 4 String Violin Sun Burst Bass Guitar 30.25-inch Passive bought used

Some of these listed above may be wrongly classified as Hollo or Semi-hollow. Something I need to work on. Usually, what gives things away is a floating bridge and trapeze tailpiece, but not always, as to whether it is Hollow or not.

Of these (from memory) I'd say the thickest body (in my collection) is the Ibby AFB200, but the Gretsch 5123 and 6073 are pretty thick too. The Samick only has a Piezo, but I listed it here as it has an archtop body with 'F' holes. You'll also notice a trend...Passive. I haven't seen a Hollow/Semi-hollow that was Active. Doesn't mean that they don't exist, just that I never saw one.

@DDXdesign mentioned the Dean Stylist, which is another bass I want, but that is a medium scale.

The Gretsch 5440, which is another bass I want (notice a problem here) is pretty big and is long scale. The Gretsch 5442 is a shorty, but isn't really a big body, granted it isn't as thin as a Hofner Verythin. I do remember the Washburn AB-90 being reviewed as a huge body. At one time I was looking to purchase the AB-90i which I think a TB member was selling at one time but never got asking price.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    BassJuju likes this.
  13. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    Epiphone Rivoli, though expensive due to age, are 335 sized and wonderful to play...especially with flats.

14. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    Its a shame the Jack Cassidy Sig bass doesn't come in short scale. I liked the gretch electromatic but its a feedback machine. I think my only option is guild. Wish I knew somewhere around Cincinnati that sells them so I could try one.

15. B-Mac

I can hoestly say I have never experienced feedback issues on either my Gretsch 5442 or 5123. But that is using a 15 watt Peavey bass amp at lessons or my 100 watt Fender Rumble amp at home. In fact, from the list of my basses above, I haven't experienced any feedback at all from any of them. Then again, I'm not playing on stage with a giant rig either.

16. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    There are two different Ibanez Artcores (three if you count the five string.
    There are two different Ibanez Artcores (three if you count the five string). The one you posted is a hollow body. However, the other (see below) is semi-hollow. Unfortunately, neither is made any longer so you are looking for either unsold inventory (NOS) or used.

AGBV200A_TCL_12_02.

17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG I'd probably say Gretsch. Most of their semi-hollow body basses haven't been semi's for very long; they're "modernized" hollow bodys, like my Gretsch Broadkaster. And the body on that thing is huge. To the point of being a short scale bass that needs long scale strings...:cool:

18. My Washburn AB20 acoustic/electric hollowbody is freakin' huge.
    IMG_2874 - Copy.JPG

19. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    Yeah we play pretty loud in large crowd situations. I'm pretty interested in the guild star2 but no one has one around here. The neck looks tiny.