1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Semi Hallowbody Bass Has the Largest Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Oh man, that feedback is a beast on the Gretsch 5440. But, you’ve got to play at a substantial volume for it to be a real issue. Even then, it can be harnessed and used for good.

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorta Noob Supporting Member

Actually are more than three. The three you refer to are the ones they kept making in the vintage distressed look.

AGB140
    AGB200
    AGB205
    AFB200
    ASB140
    ASB180

I believe the two ‘140’ models are long scale and the rest are short with the 205 being a 5-er

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  3. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I think the Hofner Verythin matches your description.

Here is a video:

4. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    Breedlove makes a nice jumbo acoustic...dont know whether its a short scale or not..epi jack casady semi hollowbody might work..

5. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    The Italia Torino has a fairly large semi-hollow body. It is a Short Scale but the overall length of the Bass comes close to a Standard Scale and it takes standard length strings.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I can't say enough nice things about Guild Starfires. If you can, go vintage... 1960's models are the best with the old Hagstrom Bisonic pickups. 1970's and 1990's models are pretty similar except that the 90's ones have a slightly shallower body front to back. The current Newark Street (Korean made) Starfire basses are great bang for the buck too, though the finishes are thicker and the pickups are not quite what the Hagstrom-manufactured originals were... though still fantastic in their own right!
    On a side-note, the Epiphone Jack Casady bass is killer too, though long-scale. Since body size seems to be a big factor for you though, the size of the Casady and a vintage-spec Starfire bass bodies are almost identical. I know this because I owned both at the same time and, interestingly enough, can confirm that an Epiphone Casady case is practically a perfect fit for a vintage Starfire, with just a little extra room at the headstock. The big difference between the two bodies is that the Casady is kind of half way in between a semi-hollow and a hollow. Proper semi-hollows like the Starfire have a center block, running all the way from the neck joint to the opposite end of the body, typically connecting the top to the back the whole way down. On the Casady, you have a small block under the bridge, which does not make contact with the back of the bass, so it's probably closer to a thin-line hollowbody than a semi-hollow

8. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I have a Gretsch that matches that description, but it's fully hollow, not semi. Also medium scale.

9. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I'm referring to the most recent models. The ones you listed were discontinued several years ago. The ones I referred to are were just discontinued this year and might still be able to be found new.

10. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    warwick jonas hellborg. it doesn't meet all of your criteria but it's pretty big
    upload_2018-5-16_22-3-37.
    upload_2018-5-16_22-4-20.

Axstar likes this.
  11. B-Mac

Correct, that would be:

AGBV200
    AGBV205
    AFBV200

The difference being the 'V' for vintage (distressed) which I never got into. I'll take the 4 that I have without looking like they were dragged chained to the back of a pickup on an old farm road out in east giblib somewhere. Just not my thing....but I love the ones I have.

As far as being canceled I swear I saw a few of the vintage artcore models shown on a GC web page as available in June 2018

However, I am not sure the OP is looking for brand new. What I have shown here are all short scale. The AGB140 and ASB140 not pictured are long scale.

AFB200_SRD_12_04. AFB200 AFB 200 TB. AFB200 w/o PG AFB 200 BK. AFB200 AFB 200 W. AFB200 AGB 200 VSB. AGB200 agb200. AGB200 Japan Mrkt ASB 180 TB.
    ASB180 (I'm looking for one of these)

l4xbdgol6vmj7nsvzwtr.
    pic of my AFB200 in Sunset Red

newer vintage versions

ibanez_afbv200atcl_artcore_series_afbv200_semi_hollow_1215378.
    AFBV200
    ibanez_agbv200_atcl_artcore_vintage_bass_guitar_tobacco_burst_low_gloss.
    AGBV200
    ibanez_agbv205atcl_artcore_vintage_series_1215380.

AGBV205

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  12. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    My understanding is the 4s are going to still be available, but the 5 is discontinued. I have one of AGBV205s you mentioned from GC on order, but it’s gone from their site now. I suspect my back order will never ship.

I’d say the Gretsch wins. I have a long scale one and it’s huge. Although, I’ve seen a few that look quite large in this post.

13. B-Mac

I hope for your sake you're wrong and get it delivered to your front door in a hurry!;)

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Eastwood Classic 4

d-Guitars_Classic4_Walnut_Left-Hand_Full-front-angled_0bdef996-2e73-4acf-9f75-8d1f756bd391_1090x.

Airline Map Bass (Chambered)

Eastwood-Guitars_AirlineMapBass_White_Right-hand_Close-up-angled_1090x.

Korladis likes this.
  15. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    It’s OK... I got this one yesterday.
    NBD - AGBV205

16. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Semi hallow body? Did they ever make an Ovation Preacher bass?

17. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I A/B’d a Coronado II and Guild Starfire. The Coronado is bigger and a little chunkier.

18. MrCrane

MrCrane

Mar 5, 2013
    A possible contender?

It may not tick all of the boxes, but it's got to be up there for body size.

19. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    This one seems pretty large, but its probably hollow...

B-Mac and 513rocks.com like this.