What sets you thinking?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Been thinking about getting my music written and made into songs again, but I noticed I had some trouble thinking of a rythme. But once I have it, I can nail it onto my bass :)

When that happens, I let my fingers do the thinking, and just play, and when I play something I like, I'll learn it, and try and expand on it, but that doesn't always work :rolleyes:

So how do you think of rythmes/melodies in your head?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    See - another candidate for the Composing forum I proposed over in Paul's suggestion box:)

Ok, plug over ;)

Firstly, it's rhythm, not rythme :D

As far as as "thinking" up rhythms and melodies goes, you might think of not thinking! What I mean is, composition comes from somewhere greater than your mind. You might consider not trying to think of it in your head. In fact, I find that these things come through when I'm not trying to compose. I've had melodies (often with a few lyrics) come to me when I'm just about to go to sleep - when random thoughts fill your head. This is a classic one actually, and it's how McCartney came up with Yellow Submarine. I've composed many things when I'm just playing - not thinking, just playing whatever I feel, and I "just happen" to stumble across something.

So, in answer to your questions, I don't *think* of rhythms and melodies, so much as just 'realise' them, if that makes any sense. If you find yourself stuck in trying to compose - let it be for a while. I find that if you let it rest, and come back later, you can much more easily carry on. It's like some part of you carries on working on it behind the scenes, when you're not thinking about it!

IME, in composing, not everything comes at once though - the tricky part is turning your fragment into a song. I'm not an Elton John or a Schumann (i.e. writes songs very quickly) - I'm more of a Beethoven (i.e. come up with fragments over a longer period of time which are then assembled seamlessly such that it sounds like it was all composed at once). In trying to do that - you'd do well to just listen to lots of other kinds of songs to get ideas. Listening to the music of others can help you to bring your own music through.

Hope that helps.