What shall I put in my fretholes when I defret?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hi, I'm getting my 5 string Soundgear (SR305) defretted soon and was wondering what I should put in the grooves, I was thinking either rosewood or maple and would like the pros and cons of both and any other ideas and why. Also my mate's dad owns a sign company so he can get me pretty much any colour plastic that I want should I go for a coloured groove filler. I was also thinking of getting it bodymatched, the body is a kind of bluish purple. Well, I'm open to suggestions...
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think it'll make too much difference. Fret slots, in and of themselves, do not take up much space on the fretboard, and I think the effect whatever material you use will affect the tone only by that ratio.

I wouldn't even be concerned with the looks of the material, since it has to be so thin just to fit into those slots. You won't be able to tell the difference much.

I'd recommend using the easiest material to fit into those slots you can find. Less labor=less headaches;)
  3. IMO a chance to do something cool for the fret slots would be an enticing challenge. Your idea of body color fillers is great or you could go wild with:

1. Abalam - processed abalone shell - very colorful
    2. Ivoiroid - synthetic ivory
    3. Perfect match color - take the time to carefully match the shade of the fretboard. Then stain black and polish like it was ebony.
    4. Brass shim stock - not frets! just filler.

Or if you aren't inclined to push the design envelope, you could get a nice result from more traditional approaches:

1. White or dark contrasting woods - Hardness isn't a big factor.
    2. Styrene - white plastic - high visibility.
    3. Wood Filler - the old stand by - tinted or not.

Lotsa ways you could go here.
  4. i would put chewing gum in the slots

but then again im an idiot...
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I had good luck using a mixture of superglue and wood dust. I didn't want to see lines, so I sanded the board slightly with fine sandpaper, then put superglue in the slots. I then rubbed some of the dust into the slot. I sanded, then added some glue if I needed it.
  6. Darn it Nick I was going to say that. OK then what flavor? Bazoka Joe brand truely would be the best for the job.
  7. of course! lol! how could you go wrong with gum that has comics on the wrapper?
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Not very big, but please remember that you are going to push down your roundwounds(?) right on them. So there will be some wear at that point. If the strips in the fretslots are much softer than the fingerboard, they will wear quicker. Leaving less fingerboardwood to cope with the wear and so on.

Hence, dispite that this is not the biggest issue, I would suggest filling the slots with something of the same hardnes as the board, or as similar as possible.

And me - I don't care about looks;)