Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what shipping company do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabee, Aug 23, 2005.

1. what shipping company do you use for shipping basses? Do you have the boxed or is it just shipped with the case as the container? What did your bass cost to ship inside the u.s.? Thanks

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    You always have to put the bass in a box, even if it's in a case. Shipping companies most likely won't accept it, and trust me, if they did, it would show up damaged. Atleast with scratches galore.

I use UPS 100%. Usually I have a box lying around from the last time I bought a bass (I tend to buy a bass, save the box, and wouldn't ya know, I sell the bass later and still have the box) :) Other than that, I've either had certain shipping outlets make them for me, or I've gone to music stores and ask if they have any, which they usually do.

*edit* Forgot your last question. It varies on the price. It depends on how heavy the package is and where you're having shipped to. If you have the weight, package dimensions and the zip code and city of where you'd be shipping it to, you can go to www.ups.com and get the rates. The most I think it ever cost me was $50 (from MA to CA)

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like Fed Ex. I use them to ship firearms and have had no problems.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I ship through a UPS outlet in Staples and they specifically say they won't ship firearms. If I sold guns, I guess I'd be out of luck :)

5. ok thanks for the info...that means i got totally f ked by ups last time. I sent a modulus q5 to cali from jersey and paid $117

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Woah..yea you did get screwed. A few questions though.. Did you ship through UPS Ground? Did you go through an outlet that packed the bass for you?

I once had to pay $80 to ship a bass and most of the cost came from having them pack it for me. I originally paid like $60, and when I got home, they actually called me and said "oh hey the box you paid for isn't big enough so we have to modify it with half of another box, that'll be another $20"

7. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I always use USPS for small packages, and FedEx for larger ones (like cabinets and basses). FedEx seems to be always be a little bit cheaper. Even though my cousin is a higher up in the UPS system, I just don't go through them. They're a little more costly and they once dropped an amp that I had sold to a guy in Florida. It was a combo and they put a huge crack in it. The guy didn't blame me though, and even though I insured it, UPS was going to make him go through a HUGE amount of work to get the insurance money, which included shipping the amp back to me so I could verify that that wasn't the original condition.

Anyway, go with USPS or FedEx, I've also dealt with DHL once or twice with good results, except that they sent a pretty small woman to my house with my Sunn 300T. She had to have me come out and get it.

8. yeah, i paid them to package it..i guess thats where i got screwed..plus the modulus with the case was pretty heavy. Ill check a guitar store before i ship next time.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Depending on where you go it's not that expensive for them to package it. The UPS outlet I use charges $5 + box cost. That other place charged me a ton of crazy fees.

10. $20.00 For half a box! that's nuts!

Defiantly box it yourself, and don't skimp on the insurance. It's is worth it, if not for the reassurance alone.

I use UPS on a daily basis at work, In the last few years they have only lost one package on me and it was recovered. I had one damage packaged that was not insured, lessoned learned for me. They only cover the first $100.00, lucky for me it was real close.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I actually always insure not just the amount paid for the bass, but for the amount including the shipping that I was paid. I'm sending out my Cirrus in a few days and I got $700 for it shipped. That will be the amount I insure for.