Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should bass speakers be rated at

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Jun 14, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    what should bass speakers be rated at?i have just about buy a 4x10 cab form speaker hole and what to know what the tens should berated at.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm not sure what you have against 10" speakers, so why are you berating them? ;)

Seriously, speakers come in all ranges of power ratings. Much of what enables a speaker to handle a lot of power is the "motor assembly" - the voice coil and things to dissipate heat generated by it, in other words. Generally cheap speakers won't handle as much power, and more expensive ones will. One can buy 10" drivers that claim to handle only 20 watts, to ones that claim to handle 400 watts each, as I recall. So, if you need a lot of power handling, you have to be prepared to spend some money and/or find a good deal (used cabinets, for example).
    - Mike

3. Generally speaking, a cab with the same power and impedance rating as your amp will be the best way to go. But, higher powered speakers are always better.

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    joris, what , exactly, is underpowering a speaker? i dont see how this can be bad at all...

thanks
    nakoa

5. IMO, underpowering a speaker is using an amp with not enough watts, and because of that the amp will constantly clip. It'll draw out the bass frequencies, put a glitchy signal on the speaker, burn out tweeters (if unprotected), and I have heard several cases where the bass speakers were burned out too.

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    oooh, ok thanks, someone was tryign to tell me 350 watts wasnt enough power ...

7. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    not watts respones(i think thats the word) like i not sure i getting a empty 4x10 and not srue what the speakers should handle.i know about watts and ohms.

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ben, your getting an empty 410 cab? then putting speakers into it? or hopeing that you are not getting a 410? most 410s are rated 8 ohms, which any head will work, if it is 4 ohms, then with some heads thats the only cab you can use. what cab are you looking at? feel free to email me if u want.

9. I'd say you want 10's that handle at least 100watts. My Ampeg vcab is rated at 500w RMS so that's about 125w appiece. You should get speakers in the 100-200 watt range. It also, as someone else already said, depends on your amp head.