Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should be my first effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 13, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hi everyone
    I'm looking at buying my first effect. What should I get. I play in a ska/pop band, and use a dano DC w/flats, and a FBB 5er. I'm looking for a unit that does color my tone....

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You shouldn't use effects ... "It's all in the hands." If you're good enough, you can get a nice phased sound or chorus effect by proper use of the hands. Compression is relatively easy to accomplish with the judicious application of a little palm-muting. And, of course, distortion can be accomplished by appropriate plucking technique. Most of all, on-board or outboard EQ is completely unnecessary to one who has mastered the correct hand placement technique. You'll never see a professional bassist using any kind of effects or EQ on stage or in the studio. Again, it's all in the hands.

3. ok i dont believe or agree with what the guy above me said, you should get a compressor or a sansamp bass di to add to your tone.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I don't care much for compressors..I've always wanted to try an echo on bass:D

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    as far as pros using effects Nathen East and Victor Wooten both use midi effects units

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    1. Don't present opinion as fact.
    2. Learning to do that with only your hands takes a lot of time and dedication that could be better spent on theory, more useful techniques, or new songs.
    3. Professional bassists use EQ and effects all the time. Doug Wimbish? Flea? Dirk Lance? All three of them have effects boards live. Victor Wooten has been known to use effects at several points on Yin Yang. Fieldy (while not the cup of tea for everyone here, is still professional) is famous for his uber-smiley EQ. Never, eh?
    4. BassGreaser may not be familiar with the boards, and even if he was, you should still throw in IMO or YMMV once or twice in that post.

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    TB Admin Message

You have included too much sarcasm in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

:D

Hook, line and sinker...

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    That's because the Soundman is adding Bass EQ and Compression from the board:
    on stage and especially in the studio.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree with Munji. Threfore, get your self a envelope filter or bass synth pedal. Go for something that will make a noticeable difference in your sound and can't be done by your hands.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My first pedal was a Boss ODB-3, and likewise, I would recommend almost everyone have a good distortion pedal. I personally prefer an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi!

11. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    i'd like to hear a hand-only wah or envelope.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    tplyons
    How is your EH Big Muff Pi customized...

13. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Here is my set-up and suggestion bro......

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

First prize: A one-week stay in Cleveland.

Second prize: A two-week stay in Cleveland.

Congratulations.

For the uninitiated, the post was a parody on all the "it's in the hands" people who insist you don't need any of that effects stuff (or even a volume knob, for that matter). Personally, I don't use effects per se, only an occasional application of an input device or chorus. Nonetheless, if you want some of the more radical sounds, you're going to have to get some effects. Hey, more power to you!

Anyway, I think that's the most fish I ever caught on one line.

15. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    U should buy the yamaha parametric equalizer NE-1 (aka Nathan East magic box) it really helps getting your sound "cleaner" and "punchier" just try it...

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :crying:

That's just mean! Good job on that though, I sure bit that bait :O.

17. i bet this is the number one cause of shootings in the us.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's just what I do.

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Either distortion. Or if like, there are multi-effects units for not much more. (Zoom 506II)???