Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should be my next amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Jul 27, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    OK, now... My Peavey TNT is fine for now... When we start playing at jerry's pizza, I can probably get away with an external 2x10 and also micing it... When i get sick of doing this, Should i go Ampeg 6x10 with like a... 350 to some where around 500 watt head? or should i go peavey 6x10 with a nitro bass head?... ive played the peavey setup and i live it... i almost got one on ebay for 600$... but was out bid at the last second... ive never played the ampeg though....give me ur opinion if it was a spur of the moment descision.:D

2. Trust me you will get sick of peavy eventually. Peavy's new stuff is pretty good, but ampeg makes tubed heads, and to me that sound is allot better than any top peavey product. I'm using 360 watts, but make shure you have a good speaker setup or you may think you need more power.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I don't believe Peavey makes a 6x10... the Ampeg SVT 6x10 is a very nice cab. It's gonna be a matter of personal preference whichever you like better go with. If you like Peavey go with a 4 ohm 410TVX and either a Nitrobass or Firebass head. Don't go with what we think you should because some of us will just say what we like or currently use... so just go out and try stuff. Pick what you like, there are lots of other brands out there other than Peavey and Ampeg.

4. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    whoops.......peavey no makin 6x10........ maybe it was a 4x10..... or they stopped making them this year........who knows?... oh wel..

5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    ha, you live in bakersfield, what band are you in?

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I suggest you prepare by toting around a small-medium sized refrigerator box with about 120lbs of weight inside to gigs before you go with that 610 cab.

I'm totally serious. Will it fit in your car? Can you get it up and down the stairs to wherever you're going to store or use it?

If I were wanting a 610, I'd probably go for two T-310 Epifanis. But at about $1000 each I'd reconsider.

I'd probably go for a 410 and a 210 on top or even two 8ohm 210s that I can wire parallel and a 4ohm 210 on the other side if I really wanted 6 tens.

You're better off getting smaller cabs that you can wire together, IMO. It's a big help if you need to take you stuff to rehearsal and can get by with just a 210 or whatever. Same goes for smaller gigs.
    Otherwise, when you go back to playing the pizza place, you'll have to lug around that 610.

7. So, if you buy a new amp, are you gonna have to change your name too? :D

8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    maybe... im thinking... Ampeg410with210ext.SVT-PROhead thats sorta long though:D

9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, an ampeg 6x10 only weighs 120lbs. besides, that's what your band mates are for is helping you move your stuff if you can't. am i the only one that takes pride in having the biggest ballsiest piece of equipment in the band?

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just curious; why do you need 6 10"s? I just use a 4x10,, I can easily cut thru two Mesa rectifier stacks and a real loud drummer. Granted,, I run 1000 watts into the thing,, but I have never needed to turn the volume past 2!

11. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    actually, now that i think it through... i saw that ampeg set up that guy just got.... with a 1x15 and 2x10... that lookd perfect.... with a.....350-500 watt head....carvin or peavey cause they are cheap and sound great....

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Try an Ampeg B2R with an SVT 2x10 and 1x15 I think that rig would work out great.

13. Cheap eh? I payed $1250 for my Firebass, but then I live in Ireland.

14. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    everything is cheaper heere in the states

15. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    eden is always good... :cool: