1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should be my next buy, bass or amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatty Banks, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Let me start off by saying that I'm totally happy with what I play right now, and the sound it makes for everything I play. I could play it forever without a frown, but why not upgrade?

I have two options right now for my gas. It's either a Epifani amp (either the 902C or the 502), or a Stingray H, four string. What should come next? I want both badly, but unfortunately, life isn't unlimited money.

Right now, I play a MTD Kingston with a Carvin BX500, and two Epifani PS-112's.

Help me out. Thanks!

2. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    Because you're perfectly happy with what you've got!!

If your set on upgrading then I'd get the new amp first because I find it makes more difference to the sound. I always say it's better so spend a bit more coin on the amp than the bass.

3. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Normally I would say amp first, but you seem satisfied with the amp you have. We interact far more intimately with the instrument than the amp, so in this case I would have to say get the bass you love.

Having said that, it may be a good idea to play both new combinations before deciding.

4. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    How about an electronics upgrade on the kingston?

5. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    If you're having no problem, leave it. I upgrade once I start having to mess with getting the right sound I want, like if I go on a gig and my amp start farting or my bass sound like crap after letting another bass player use my amp.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My I suggest... don't upgrade your gear at all. Not one bit.

As a fiscal conservative, I'd say spend that money on paying down a bill or two...

BUT... if you just GOTTA spend some $$ on music, find a great teacher to school you on some new stuff. No matter how good you are, there's always someone out there who can school ya...

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to BigOldHarry. Good advice.

8. Great idea...but GAS can be an ugly thing...:help:

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Don't buy because you have money.

10. If you're happy with what you have and you're getting the sound you want, why change a thing? They say love is blind, but in the case of GAS, it can definitely be nearsighted. Just because something is more expensive doesn't make it "better". People throw the word "upgrade" around a lot on here, when it's not necessarily something better they're getting.