1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should be my next jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rudi van Disar, May 6, 2017.

1. Rudi van Disar

Rudi van Disar Supporting Member

May 11, 2013
    I'm looking at getting a new bass in the next couple weeks. I've had my eye on an AVRI '64 for quite some time, but I've heard the 80's and early 90's MIJ basses are great. I'd like to investigate those options. The bass must be alder/rosewood. What do you all think about this bass: For Sale - Fender '64 RI Jazz Bass

vs

Vintage Mid-'80s Tokai Jazz Sound Bass w/ Gig Bag Olympic White Japan MIJ #38775 | eBay

vs

Tokai Jazz Sound P-J 1985 Japan | eBay

vs

Vintage 1980s FERNANDES RJB55-'64 Electric Bass Guitar w/soft case made in Japan | eBay

vs

Fernandes The Revival Jazz Bass Type Early 80's

vs

Vintage 80s YAMAHA JB600R Bass Guitar Red [Excellent] w/hard case made in Japan | eBay

vs

Used! YAMAHA JB600R Vintage Electric Jazz Bass 3-Tone Sunburst | eBay

vs

Used! Seymour Duncan Traditional DJ-100R Alder Jazz Bass Black Made in Japan | eBay

vs

Fender Japan JB62-US Reissue Jazz Bass Alder Body N-Serial Made in Japan FUJIGEN | eBay

vs

Vintage '93-94 Fender Japan Jazz Bass Made In Japan | eBay

There are a lot more out there. I really would have no idea how to start picking one of these MIJ basses, though, which has me leaning toward the AVRI. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

@Rudi van Disar; If you're willing to spend the extra coin to have something shipped from Japan, you might want to peruse Ishibashi's U-BOX used database. Here's the Basses section…

イシバシ楽器店: 中古楽器 ≫ エレキベース

If you spot something you like, send an inquiry. They have a corps of English-speaking staffers who are very nice and quite competent. Here's my own, personal experience wish shopping through them;

Unveiling III: Fender Japan JB62 "All-Black"

One thing though, if you see anything denoting "USA" or "America", it might be something you can get from somewhere else for less shipping. Now that FMIC is calling the shots for Fender in Japan, they've been making MIM and MIA instruments more available to that market. As a result, whenever I take a peek at the U-BOX, I see the odd, western-manufactured instrument on their rolls.

3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I've owned numerous Tokai basses and guitars during 80s and 90s and loved every single one of them. Great instruments, IME.

Having said that, a genuine AVRI is a far better buy on *any* level for a price difference that your links show, IMO.

totallywink and Rudi van Disar like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You might want to consider Bacchus. 2lloz8h. jp7ngn.

5. Rudi van Disar

Rudi van Disar Supporting Member

May 11, 2013
    Great tip, man! Thank you. And, thanks to the others so far, as well.