Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I add to my set up to improve my tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Sep 29, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    O.k., my tone is very close, got an Eden WT-800 head ampeg 4x10 cab. I also run an EQ for each of my basses to fine tune my tone. It's very close the best it has ever sounded. Now I am thinking of adding a DI or effects of somekind to improve my tone. I see Sonic maximizers, stomp boxes, DI's all kinds of stuff. I was thinking of an MX80 Di with distortion, but is there anything out there that would just make my tone and sound just sound freakin awesome that I could add to my set up?

2. Try an 402 Aural exciter or a BBE 462. Those i've heard beef up your tone.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Is that like the Sansamp?

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No. A sansamp gives you distortion and tone control. An aphex or BBE gives you "enhancement," which tightens the bass and adds air to the highs, sort of. I really like my BBE.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    BBE, ok I've seen those, this is the ticket?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    but....but..... you haven't told us specifically what's not right about your tone??????????

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's o.k., I would like it to cut a little more, little more punch. Right now it's clean, Eden heads are a little I don't know too smooth sounding if that makes sense. I am adding a 15" to my 4 x 10 down the road that should make it sound even better. I have a Eden WT800 head it's got a built in compressor which I would never use, I guess I'm looking to make a good tone sound even better, maybe it's a little too subtle right now.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My professional diagnosis is that you need more time to work out what your need. My initial prognosis it that EQ therapy may be sufficient.

The 15 will certainly help. The natural frequency filtering will mean you can back off the bottom end EQ, freeing up the 10's to do more cutting.

I also find cutting through is much easier when your strings are newish.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    awesome, I noticed that too, especially the real low end. Let me ask you this, if you had a clean set up and got the EQ on the money, is there anything that you would add that would just make your rig even kick more butt! I just want my rig to hit hard and sound awesome, if not thanks for the eq tip. Right now i have a dual 15 band eq running a Rick and a Spector and I am still fine tunning the eq's for both.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not at all. If it aint broken, don't fix it! You'll end up going backwards.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    the only thing I was really thinking of adding would be like a DI with Distortion to boost my signal and give me a little dirtiness when need be. Do you think pedals are better for this once one has established a good tone?

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You haven't really described a need for a DI yet. That's when you want to send an XLR line to the board.

If you just want distortion/boost, there are a million pedals out there, and distortion is a very subjective thing. Go to a store and try 'em out until you find one you like. I don't use distortion on bass anymore, but when I did I really liked my vintage MXR Distortion II.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's exactly what I think:) That's more or less how I approach effects.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    thanks guys!

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sometimes it's best to remove gear to get more tone, not add.

I've got a gazzillion pedals, and at one point I was running them all. One day I took them all out, plugged straight into my amp and BAM!!! Tone.

16. Yeah, BTriax is kinda right there. You can spend a coons age tweaking anf fiddeling but at some point you do realize that less is moe. BBE is an awful handy blanket-lifter tho....