Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I add to my stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-end, Jun 21, 2004.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Yo guys, I have a Stingray that's completely stock except some black schaller straplock buttons. I was thinking of maybe upgrading some things, like maybe the pickup, preamp, bridge, tuners or a bass x-tender or something like that. What do you think I should add and why?

Heres a picture of what it looks like right now-
    [​IMG]

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Paint her pink with green spots.

Ok, I can see a pickup upgrade and maybe a some ultra light tuners and/or a de-tuner, but the rest, why.

3. Unless you are actually unhappy with it or there is something particular about the instrument you would like to change (find the pickup to harsh, don't like the frequencies of the pre-amp, the current bridge is unusable, massive neck dive) than it just seems like you're bored and wanna throw some money into the instrument. Believe me, I know how that is; best piece of advice you can be given is, and pardon the cliche, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." You may immediatly be satisfied that you spent the money, but soon enough you'll realize those "upgrades" didn't add much to an already amazing instrument.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think my stock pickup / 3-band 9V preamp sound ok but could sound probably more amazing

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Could be your amp, it's amazing how different any bass will sound with a different amp.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I second this emotion. For context, I significantly modded my SR5 (Basslines alnico pup, Aguilar OBP-3, added a passive tone control) and was happy with the results... but only because I wanted to change some specific things about the SR5 (weak output on the G-string, wanted to add some more girth to the tone, most prominently). The SR5 has a different pup and pre than the SR4 (for edample, it has a low-cut filter built-in to reduice muddiness), and I basically wanted to turn it into a 5-string version of the SR4... which it came reasonably close to.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Could be your amp, it's amazing how different any bass will sound with a really good amp.

I have an SR5 and I don't really care for its sound in small room at practice levels, but with a good amp, and with a band at a live music venue, it sounds awesome!

Otherwise, sell it and buy a Fender (just kidding -- or not; take your pick).

8. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Ok...here is the strange thing about your question(s):

-bridge
    -preamp
    -pickup

These are all the trademark items that draw people to the Stingray in the first place. I'm curious what sound you're looking for if these stock items aren't giving you what you want out of this bass. Stingrays are fairly expensive basses and to mod them devalues the instrument. If I'm looking to buy a Ray and it's been modded at all... I usually pass. I don't even like a hipshot on them, but that's just me. I would take the resale value into consideration before you mod a perfectly good Ray unless you never intend to sell her.

Maybe you could get a less expensive bass and mod it to your own specs or tackle a Warmoth project???

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    My G string is thin-sounding despite having raised the right side of my pickup. It sounds like this through any amp I play it through. This is why I was hoping for some pickup recommendations

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Groove Tubes Fat Finger, Ultra-Lites and a Hipshot D-Tuner

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    This is a MusicMan, man!!! Keep it as original as possible!!! It is more valuable that way!!! The only thing I would eventually think of doing is upgrade the pickup so that it behaves as that of a Sterling (the three coil, 3-way wiring system). It's stock in my Stingray 5 and it kicks ass!!! I wouldn't do any other modification than that. And if the Stingray is your only bass and you're bored (happens, as the Stingray is of very focused use, mostly for funk) try getting a 2 pickup bass (I bought a Fernandes Gravity V and recently a Cort Curbow, in order to fill those styles that the Stingray 5 couldn't).

Good luck!!!

ANDRÉS

12. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    add a clear pickguard, with illustrations of lobsters under it.

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland

That can be a problem with three-band Stingrays. It usually comes as a result of badly adjusted EQ. Try having the treble and bass at centre-detente and boosting the mid some. You should find a point where the G comes back to life. Then play with the bass and treble from there.

(Thanks Gav)

14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland

P.S. go over it with a duster.

15. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    But I'm keeping the original parts in the unlikely event that it ever does go bye bye ( you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands ).....

I went this way coz I couldn't justify buying an SR5 just in case I couldn't get the hang of the 5 string ( I've only ever played 4 bangers ) besides, Ash/Maple/Black PG on an SR4 is totally old school!!!!!!!!!! I just love the look....

To each their own I say!!!! ( but mine can go back to original any time I want ).

16. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I say swap in the Bartolini MM pickup.

17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Why?

18. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I think the best you can do is to sell the bass and buy another one you like better.

Trust me: Trying to make a bass you don't like "likeable" is throw money away. You will continue disliking the bass and will loose valeu on the re-sell.

Why don't you try a Sterling?

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

EXACATAMUNDO! I always thought thought, with the possible exception of the bridge, those were the strongest attributes of the Ray.

It sure ain't nice woods or cosmetic touches.

If you're dead set on taking your Ray "downtown", you might consider the MM pickup and accompanying preamp that Basslines offers.
    As they say at Basslines, "Your Music Man® plays great, now make is sound great with this powerful 4- or 5-string ceramic magnet pickup and special 3-band Tone Circuit designed specially to bring out the best tone of the mid- and late-'70s Stingrays™". - http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/bassesdescr.shtml#HotStackregforJazzBassreg

I have a custom with that pickup, but it was made with Alnico like the originals, instead of ceramic, and that preamp, and it's pretty nasty.........in a good way.

20. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    slightly OT, but after playing my new bass (SX), I have decided the best thing for me to add to it is practice and talent. I'm finally seeing where my weak link is, and it isn't the basses I play. (no reflection on your abilities at all, just a personal observation about mine)

:meh:

oh, I got an idea....route for a jazz pickup at the neck position
    :bag: