Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should i be looking for???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, May 5, 2005.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i really like the sound of the older mesa roadready cabs...but the weight of them has become an issue for me. i was wondering if anyone could reccomend me something to sounds as close to those as possible? would it be worth my while to take the EVs out of the mesa cab and put them in a lighter custom cab?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Diesel 4x10, which I really love, but it is so darn heavy and hard to lug up and down my basement steps. I found that the EA VL-210 can do a great job of emulating the tone of the Diesel 4x10, but it can also handle much more power without breaking up, and you can also dial in a bit more upper mids and high end (if you want - if not, you can back them off, too).

The VL-210 is not exactly a lightweight cab, but after lugging around my 120 lb 4x10, it seems quite manageable. With enough power, I found that one VL-210 can replace the Boogie 4x10, but two VL-210's is really the shiznit!

I also own a Diesel Powerhouse, Jr. (1x12, 4x8), and that one is a bit more difficult to emulate in a smaller cab. Maybe two EA Wizzy's?

Which RR cabs are you attempting to emulate? They made a bunch of great ones. My favorites were the EV-loaded 4x10's and 2x15's. You might be able to get something close to the sound of the old 2x15's out of two Bergantino HT115's.

Tom.

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i'm trying to find the sound of my 2x10 and 1x15 used together....

4. Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but i could be wrong, but surely the weight (and heavy construction) is what gives alot of the RR's sound ?

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Finding that sound might be possible, but finding it in a significantly lighter package presents more of a challenge. However, I actually have a fairly decent approximation, tonally, of those to cabs in a very lightweight package. Marc Serio (Dr. Bass) made two custom lightweight cabs (1x15 and 2x10) which I eventually acquired. These things are stupid light, but they sound incredibly good (especially after Marc made some modifications which I suggested - the most significant being the addition of internal bracing). If weight is an issue, and you like the Boogie tone, then these Dr. Bass cabs get fairly close. Marc is familiar with my cabs, and could probably build you something quite similar.

Another lightweight option that you might like, but which don't necessarily capture the exact Boogie sound, would be two EA NL-210's. They are full sounding, very clear, but have a hint of warmth. Very light, too.

Finally, Don Oats from Low Down Sound might be able to build you some custom cabs to fit your bill.

Hope this helps, Tom.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    hey tom -

i took a look at the EA website and their 4x10 cabinet caught my attention. it looks very impressive and i am considering getting it. i was wondering if you (or anyone) has used them and with what type of head? i'm thinking of getting a WT800 and putting it into an 8 ohm 4x10 now.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If I were looking for a 4x10, it would be at the top of my list. But I am trying to keep my arsenal on the thinner side, so as to minimize the chance of me scuffing doorways and walls, etc., and thus incurring the wrath of the significant other! :p

Actually, it was trying to find an alternative to my Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 that led me down this primrose path...

Tom.

8. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    Ever checked out Avatar? I just found an older 1x12 that's rated to handle more than my SWR Wkmn's 4x10 and the newer stuff looks even better (added twist-lock connectors to 1/4", etc.). A 2x10 and 1x12 together could probably do some serious work and the pricetags are crazy low, but the old mesa sound could be a tough act to follow-best of luck.