Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should i be looking for?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 22, 2001.

1. i wanna get strings for my 6 string bass...but i wanna get strings where the E, A, D, and G strings areas thick as those on a regular 4 string bass.

it might just be me, but i feel that .045 guage G string is a little too skinny and therefore, too bright...are there any manufacturers that sell thicker strings?

or is it all just my imagination or something?

2. you can probably buy a set of 4 strings (105-50) and buy a B and and a C string separate.
    Come to think abouti it, i think most manufacturers have 6 string sets with that gauge...

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    At www.juststrings.com you can get about any single string offered. Most manufacturers offer 5-string sets in heavy gauge, so you should only have to buy a separate C.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I fail to see the problem... "6 string set where the 4 strings in the center are as thick as a 4 string set"...they are! They don't thin them down just to fit the neck. They may seem thinner because there are MORE there, and you have that little tiny C string, but they aren't any thinner than normal.

To me, 4 strings = strings look smaller than they really are.
    5 strings = strings look bigger than they really are.
    6 strings = strings look smaller than they really are.

Anyway, I use a .050 G when i can get it, and usually a .035 C. Try it...plenty of sets have that stock.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Angus is right as far as he took it. But actually, most 6-string sets are indeed offered only in light or med-light gauges -- dunno why. Suits me, but I can see that this is a hole in the general bass string market.

As I said, though, heavier gauge 5-string sets should be readily available; then you just have to buy a heavier C (like maybe .035 or .038 or so). You have to look at the B gauge; many mfr's use the same gauge B in their light, medium, and heavy sets!