1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

what should i be looking for?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 22, 2001.

1. i wanna get strings for my 6 string bass...but i wanna get strings where the E, A, D, and G strings areas thick as those on a regular 4 string bass.

it might just be me, but i feel that .045 guage G string is a little too skinny and therefore, too bright...are there any manufacturers that sell thicker strings?

or is it all just my imagination or something?

2. you can probably buy a set of 4 strings (105-50) and buy a B and and a C string separate.
    Come to think abouti it, i think most manufacturers have 6 string sets with that gauge...

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    At www.juststrings.com you can get about any single string offered. Most manufacturers offer 5-string sets in heavy gauge, so you should only have to buy a separate C.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I fail to see the problem... "6 string set where the 4 strings in the center are as thick as a 4 string set"...they are! They don't thin them down just to fit the neck. They may seem thinner because there are MORE there, and you have that little tiny C string, but they aren't any thinner than normal.

To me, 4 strings = strings look smaller than they really are.
    5 strings = strings look bigger than they really are.
    6 strings = strings look smaller than they really are.

Anyway, I use a .050 G when i can get it, and usually a .035 C. Try it...plenty of sets have that stock.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Angus is right as far as he took it. But actually, most 6-string sets are indeed offered only in light or med-light gauges -- dunno why. Suits me, but I can see that this is a hole in the general bass string market.

As I said, though, heavier gauge 5-string sets should be readily available; then you just have to buy a heavier C (like maybe .035 or .038 or so). You have to look at the B gauge; many mfr's use the same gauge B in their light, medium, and heavy sets!