1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should i be trying to learn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slapp-Happy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Slapp-Happy

Slapp-Happy

Apr 30, 2009
    I just started playing bass about 5 months ago, and I've already played 2 pretty large scale concerts (for my age at least i'm 16) and this weekend I'm going to be playing 2 more however all i play are tribute songs, and they aren't all that complicated (I only find 1 or 2 of them really needing my attention when i play them to get them correct, for example I play that Beatles song "A day in the life"). And I've been pretty interested in playing 5 string bass and my dad told me if I keep up my practicing he'll let me get the extra string. (He's been playing guitar for over 40 years so he's not just buying me what i want "'cause i want it") but is it possible that I'm switching too early for my own good? Do i stand to develop too many bad habits before i have my technique perfected on the 4-string?

2. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Do you have a professional bass teacher? If not, look for one.

Also, this should probably be in the General Instruction area.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There's really no "too early" or "too late" for a five string. In fact, your technique shouldn't really change, just where you play what you play. :)

What you should be trying is to grow and learn as a player. You should be seeking out stuff that you like, but that you can hear will be a challenge to learn. Keep working on new and harder stuff in different styles and music types.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't think there is any disadvantage of switching so soon. I taught bass for several years and some of my students STARTED on a 5 string. Practice your scales. Run finger excercises (look up permutations on the internet). And keep learning songs. Good luck!

5. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    Look up a seasoned instructor to at least teach you technique.. it will make practice more progressive. I took classical guitar lessons (I wanted to learn classical guitar, and I did) but the side effect was that it really cleaned up my bass playing technique tremendously... it says a lot when the bass player on stage never looks at his fretboard, and even more so when his/her hand is hardly moving, but playing some pretty moving runs....

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IMO, get the 5 string and start learning on it.

Also, check out the link in my sig. for lots of great TB bass info.

Good luck.

7. You guys are over looking the basics. You should stick with a 4 string until you feel like you are limited with just a 4 string bass.

8. Taste, tone, time, feel.

9. I think yer old man probably knows a thing or 2.
    Stick with the 4 string til he says so. 5 strings don't necessarily have anything to do with skill level. There's more to it than technique and he probably wants you to focus on the notes rather than the bass.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Beginning players should play an instrument that motivates them...if that's a 5, then it's a 5. If its a 4, then that's cool too.

Guitar players start with six strings...no matter how 'beginner' they are.