Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I bring?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nicoli, Sep 21, 2004.

1. So it's looking like I'm going to be heading out on the road for a 12-week tour, it'll be my first time being out for longer than about 10 days.

I'm just wondering what you seasoned road vets have as must-have items you take with you? Any good suggestions?

So far I'm figuring on bringing all my gear and appropriate backups (think I'd want/need a shock rack or anything like that?), about a weeks worth of clothes, a few toiletries, and probably some light cooking utensils and Kraft Dinner or something like that.

2. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    in either an AP (alternative press) or BP ... althought i think it was AP..from a month or so ago..they had a '20 things to remember when going on tour'
    it was a really awesome article..
    if i can find it ill scan it..it does down into fine detail..even about nutrition haha.

3. Cool... I think I'll see if I can find it via google as well.

The last time I went out the guitarist was actually a health nut, he'd only eat organic food and stuff like that... it was interesting trying to find places he'd be willing to get food from.

Update: I can't find it online.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ill look for the magazine when i get home later tonite...
    i did a quick search and didnt see it either.

im sure theres a number of people who could give u some worth while tips though.

5. First and foremost , a map of all the states youll be in!

more clothes, if its anything like my touring experience, your band mates will jack your clothes, or youll lose em, or not have enough , etc...

Lots of Cds

and prolly most important, the key to success of any tour- Beer or weed, or both.

6. A map... so simple yet something I'd never thought of. We'll be alright until we get out of Ontario but I'll have to get one after that.

I don't have to worry about the beer / weed, I know the drummer will have that one covered... he'll probably bring lots of CDs too actually. :)

Anyone else want to weigh in on the topic?

7. BassGuy

BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    When packing for ANY trip here's what you do:

Take out all the clothes you plan to take and lay them out on the bed.

Now, take all the money you plan to take and lay it out on the bed.

Now, put half the clothes back in the closet, you won't wear them.

Now, put twice as much money on the bed, you're gonna need it.

Also, don't take shoes or other clothes you haven't already broken in.

Guy

8. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    the 20 are in bass guitar(guitar world's)

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    3 forms of ID
    Couple rolls of toilet paper
    Dr. Tichesner Mouthwash (for sore throat)
    Big Bottle of pain reliever of choice (asprin, tylenol)
    medical insurance proof
    Talc
    Non-stage clothes
    LICENCED Gun
    weapon of last resort (knife, club, garrote)
    DON'T Carry weed!! As a band, your a natural target for some hotdog cop.
    Do Not Go Anywhere without fellow band members! No where! (Freaks Abound!)

10. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    what the hell do you need a gun for man? shoot the crowd if they boo you off?

11. Ah yes... I can't find the text anywhere though, and I've never seen that mag on newstands around here. Looked like a good read from the article caption.

12. pringles!

13. Yah, I was debating about the TP thing, probably wise. Health coverage up in Canada so that's not a problem. Don't think anyone has any weaponry, but the drummer and rhythm guitarist are both big guys and former boxers.

Re carrying the weed, yah, I've thought of that too. Definitely one reason to do the speed limit and not nake ourselves targets.

And the dont' go anywhere without fellow band members is a rule we follow anytime after showtime when we're playing out of town.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    One possible use...