1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHAT SHOULD I BUY? Traynor YBA200 Vs. Tech 21 Landmark 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shazbot, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Shazbot

Shazbot

Jun 29, 2008
    Hey all,

I'm in a predicament here. I need to purchase a new amp and these two are coming out for roughly the same price.

-Used Traynor YBA 200 for $600
    or
    -Tech 21 Landmark 300 $665 off Musiciansfriend.

I want tube grit,but I've heard that Traynor's are in for repairs a lot. I've also used Yorkville gear in the past that has failed me. On the other side, it has that nice warm tube feel.

I've read that the Landmark has crushing distortion,but does it rival real tube sound. Does it have enough juice that I can cut through a mix of two heavily distorted guitars? 100% analog SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation technolgy - whats the word on this?

I play a Fender P,Drop C, in a metalcore band and I'm driving a Peavey Pro810.

I want a DEADLY dirty tone, advice?

Thanks,

2. Listen to the song Do Yourself A Favour - Comeback Kid. He uses the landmark 300. Gets a killer tone with it. Through an SVT 810.

Also check out Talk Is Cheap by Comeback Kid. I'm pretty sure he recorded it with a miced SVT CL through an ampeg cab, but can get that tone no problem with the landmark.

3. I know a few people who have used the Landmark heads, they all moved to real tube amps.

I've got a BDDI, and while I admit it is great, it isn't quite the same feel, just seems like something is missing, when compared to a real tube amp (IMO).

4. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    check the prices they sell for used.... whats the tech sell for ? the yba will still sell for 600... just food for thought. i always think the sans amps sound fake, like a transistor radio on 10. but they are good for just adding a little sizzle/grind to bring it out of the mix. i think the fakeness will come out more if you use it for your main source of tone. johnny a. /staind

5. Shazbot

Shazbot

Jun 29, 2008
    Is there any known users of the Landmark on this board? I'm really just trying to see which amp can give me a unique kind of distortion.

6. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    I've been gigging a Landmark 300 for the past year now. I love this thing! I am running it with a Bag End S15-d and an S15x-d stack.
    The secret to the Landmark heads is you MUST get the footswitch! It lets you combine ch1 and ch2. Before I got the footswitch, the amp was just kinda...meh...ok. I could never really get it to sound that way I wanted exactly, I could only get close. Now, I can dial in exactly what I want. I have ch1 running the deep rumbly grindy side and ch2 the clean high side...add them together and get a yummy gentle tube grit...Kinda like just before a tube amp starts to distort. 300 watts is loud enough for but I'm just playing in a typical bar - rock cover band. The footswitch cost me $100.00 USD, I got the head for $300 Cdn.

I've also played a YBA200 and the YBA200-2. I found them both to be very bright sounding. I'd have the treble rolled all the way down and the scoop button off as I recall.

"I play a Fender P,Drop C, in a metalcore band and I'm driving a Peavey Pro810." Hmmmmm.....I've never played in a situation like that.....so for you tone wise I think the Landmark would be killer....volume wise...hmmm....I'm not sure...I've never done that with mine....you can always add a power amp if you need more oomph. or get the Tech21 RBI and RPM preamps and a Crown Drivecore amp...now that would be killer!

I'd go with the Landmark, but for that price make sure they include the Footswitch.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know.

7. Owned a YBA 200 a few years ago. Decent sounding amp, but not enough grunt to stand up to two loud guitars, no way.

No experience with the Landmark, but I'd expect it to play stronger than the Traynor.