What should I buy, what do I need?: Backup bass, amp or in ears?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NS2A, Aug 21, 2009.

1. backup bass

18.4%
  2. amp

23.7%
  3. in ears

21.1%
  4. all the above

18.4%
  5. none of the above

31.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm in my late 30's, have a job, house, family etc. So, my "gigs" are pretty modest because of time commitments.

I play church about every 3rd Saturday night and 3 short 5 song sets on Sunday, and play a 40 minute tiny little restaurant gig every so often. Between the two, I'm on track to play 20-22 weekends this year. It's gonna be awhile before I do any full blown bar gigs or your typical "playing out".

Both places have a house amp, direct box or in ears (that are shared). So, I just bring my one bass. I like the sound of my bass direct, so it all works out.

So, in my situation would you get:

a backup bass - I wouldn't bring it to the gigs (no one else does :smug:), but what if my main bass is in the shop? I LOVE my main bass, so this one would just sit around like a 3rd string quaterback. I'd probably never play it.

an amp - at both places the house amp is used for personal monitoring only. I can't see a situation with either gig where I need my own amp, but I have an 80 watt Peavey that works for home stuff anyway. I like my amp just to amplify my bass, not color my sound.

my own in ears - I guess I don't "need" these, but custom molded in ears would be nice.

All the above

do nothing - save money. Buy things like electricity.

2. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    It sounds like you're all set. This economy, I wouldn't try too hard to talk myself into spending extra money.

3. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Jeff Berlin has never used a backup bass. That's argument enough for me not to get one.

How many horn players bring backup saxophones to shows? How many drummers have backup toms?

4. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Sharing in-ears is not my cup of tea...

5. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well I do have a Spector for sale...hahaha. Save your money, just my opinion.

6. In my opinion...if you don't have it (either club/church provided or your bring yours) you can not play it. Meaning that if the gear dies, then you have no backup. If you have the gear ready in the car...you will always be setup and ready for performances.

I bring my backup bass to all rehearsals, sessions, gigs, etc. for exactly that reason.

7. I think you should spend your money anyway you want.

If it were me though and I would put the money in the savings acct. (Actually not 100% true, I would put gas into the truck and boat and go fishin')

Sounds to me like you have all the gear you need. I have never spent alot on gear either though.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I would say get something like a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. That way if there is ever a problem with the house DI you're not completely boned.

I'm not sure if the BDDI would be the choice for you though if you want a clean sound off your bass, but something along the lines of your own high quality DI would be my suggestion.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If you don't know what you need, you probably don't need anything.

Pay off a credit card.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Exactly.

Most of your post is more of a "Which thing will you guys talk me into needing, when I just want them all?"

If youre set, save your cash. Maybe something will pop up that you need. ;)

11. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah, cause you go buy on impulse, sometimes you dont get exactly what you what and are dissapointed

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021