what should i buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ymmij, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ymmij

May 26, 2005
    hi ,i live in scotland coming over to new york in june on
    holiday.i play electric/accoustic and i am looking for a new
    amp.i was thinking of e.a. or eden or ?.hopefully someone
    can help me decide as i am fed up changing gear every few
    years. :help:
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm happy with my new Eden WT-550.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What is your budget? How are you planning on getting the amp home? Be sure to find out what shipping and customs duties will be and include them in your budget.

Lastly what kind of sound do you want?
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I purchased an EA iAMP500 a couple weeks ago, and I am thoroughly pleased with it. I don't see myself actually "needing" to get something else, unless I needed more power. In that case, I would get the iAMP800. You can't go wrong with an EA. I have owned a few Eden amps in my day, and they are nice as well.

What you need to do now is answer the questions Tash posed, and then you can come up with a short list to check out while you are here.

5. ymmij

May 26, 2005
    my budget is roughly 1000 dollars,im hoping to carry my
    amp as hand luggage and take it from there.
    im looking for a great sound accoustic/electric through the
    same amp.i ll get cabinets at home later. cheers mate
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Make sure you check import fees and such for bringing the amp back, I don't know what they are but I'm they exist. you might be able to slide by but just saying you brought the amp over with you, or maybe not. I've had to pay an import duty on stuff I brought with me to Canada because the US border inspector didn't belive I brought two basses and an amp with me (I forgot to declare them and get a form when I left the US).
  7. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Keep in mind the voltage difference too! Many US amps are set up for 110volts only and it is an expensive and major bumpain to change them out.

I bought a Genz Benz because I am moving back to Europe next year and it has a switchable transformer so i can use it in US, UK and Spain. I have an Eden too and I believe it can be changed pretty easily.

Some of the manufacturers may make life tough for you as they want to protect their dealers in the UK/anywhere other than US and do not want to discuss dual voltage etc.

EA and EDEN are both great - take a look at Genz Benz too.

Good luck