1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbassist17, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jbassist17

jbassist17

Sep 20, 2008
    So I've been playing bass for about 3 years but have never had anything speaker-wise that I thought sounded very good. I had what I believe was a 40-watt amp that did the trick for a bit, as I was just jamming with friends and not going crazy, but it's come time for me to get something solid. I'm a graduate student so can't spend much money, and still just want something good for jamming and such, but something that could pass the test playing for a crowd at a backyard 4th of July-type party. Suggestions?

2. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    How large of a backyard crowd/space are you talking and with what other instruments???? Bass can get lost pretty quickly outdoors unless it's got a bit of power behind it.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    It sounds like the correct answer for you is the best/most powerful amp you can find used for the money you are able to spend. How much are you able to spend?

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If you're playing with guitar(s) and a drummer, you're going to need some power to be heard - especially outdoors.

Here's a few options for a budget gig-worthy rig...
    Amp - GK RB-series (used), or GK Backline 600 (new), or Ashdown MAG300 (new)
    Cab - Avatar 410 or 212