What should I clean my neck with?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Sep 24, 2003.

1. I've noticed lately that my bass neck is getting "sticky" and it's hard to slide my hand up and down the neck...what can I use to polish the neck of my bass?
    I've been using a Fender treated cleaning cloth but it doesn't seem to do much...
  2. I use windex or something like it when it gets any kind of funk on it then apply furniture polish to shine back up. But the back of my neck is finished. If the back or your neck is unfinished you may want to use a light coat of linseed oil. I use that on my fretboard after cleaning very lightly than buff it out with a soft polishing cloth. That's what works for me.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    How about the Setup forum? Let's take this thread there now.......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  4. Yeah mines finished...Are there any certain cleaners you can buy? Or are there any kinds of furniture polish that work good for sure? I'd hate to mess up my neck on my only bass.
  5. llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    I use Homer Formby's buildup remover on my guitars and basses. You can find it at any wood working store and most Lowes and HD's.

It's a green liquid in a clear bottle tirh a maroon cap. Just put some on a soft cloth and wipe or rub. I use a q-tip ans old toothbrush to get the f-board...
  6. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Years ago a repair guy told me to use a lemon oil furniture polish called Milsek on unfinished rosewood boards. You can find the stuff at the grocery store even. Never used it on the back of a neck, but it cleans the FB great.